Bergbaumuseum Schwarzer Crux

Useful Information

Location: Suhl. Vesser.
A71 exit Suhl. B247 to Suhl. left on L1140 towards Vesser. before you reach the village turn right. signposted.
(50°36'10.78"N. 10°47'34.64"E)
Open: Mining Museum: all year Fri-Wed, Hol 10-17.
Show Mine: all year Fri-Wed, Hol 10-17.
Mining trail: no restrictions.
Fee: Mining Museum:
Adults EUR 2, Children (4-12) EUR 1.50, Students EUR 1.50, Family (2+3) EUR 5.50.
Groups (15+): Adults EUR 1.50, Children (4-16) EUR 1.
Show Mine:
Adults EUR 6, Children (4-12) EUR 4, Students EUR 5.50, Family (2+3) EUR 16.
Groups (15+): Adults EUR 5, Children (4-16) EUR 3.50.
Mining trail: free.
Classification: MineIron Mine magnetite
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Guided tours: D=40min
Accessibility: Mining Museum: not accesible.
Show Mine: not accesible.
Mining trail: partly accesible.
Address: Besucherbergwerk & Waldgasthaus "Schwarzer Crux", Crux-Straße 1, 98711 Suhl/Vesser, Tel: +49-36782-60606, Fax: +49-36782-70739. E-mail: contact
Förderverein Bergbaumuseum Schwarze Crux und Verein für Hennebergische Bergbaugeschichte e.V.. Crux-Straße 1. 98711 Suhl/Vesser. Tel: +49-36782-60606.
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


~1000 first open cast mining.
1600-1630 Crux-Eisen (Crux-iron) is very popular, used by the flourishing weapon industry in Suhl.
1921 mining ended.
2001 mining trail opened to the public.
2005 beginning of show mine development.
2007 show mine opened to the public.


In this area is the geologic border between Thüringer Wald (forest of Thuringia) and the southwestern lowlands. In the Hasseltal (Hassel valley), which belongs to the lowland, the rocks are mainly lower Triassic sandstones, the steep hills of the Thüringer Waldes consist of porphyres and porphyrites. The valley around Suhl is the result of the erosion of a granite giapir, called Suhl/Zella-Mehliser Granitkessel (granite bowl of Suhl/Zella-Mehlis). The massive granite intrusion is much younger than the surrounding rocks, and the grante is also less resistant against weathering. As a result it is eroded much faster. The ore deposit are a result of the tectonic forces which lifted the Thüringer Wald and created the southern fault zone. During the uplift the magma heated the graund water and hot water was circulating through the cracks. It dissolved different minerals from the rocks and deposited them in the cracks, where heat and pressure was lower. The result were a wide variety of minerals including different iron ores like hematite, limestone, baryte, and quartz.

The limonite dykes in the Röderfeld and at the Schelrod have a different genesis. There are also rich copper ores at the Hofleite and in the Rimbachtal (Rimbach valley). And there are even more deposits: north of Albrechts the layers of the Zechstein (lower Permian) contain finery cinders, limonite, and iron spar.

Another very close deposit with completely different geology are the sedimentary ores of Goldlauter in the valley of the golden Lauter. The formation called Acanthodesschiefer contains concretions with copper and silver ores, called Erznieren (ore kidneys). They were formed during the Rotliegend, some 290 Million years ago, when this area was covered by a huge sweetwater lake. At the ground of the lake a sediment rich in organic material was deposited.


The Schwarze Crux is one of numerous iron mines around the city Suhl and the villages Goldlauter and Vesser. The most famous mines were the three at Vesser: Schwarze Crux. Rote Crux and Gelbe Crux. They were named after the main iron minerals. which were mined: magnetite is black. pyrite is yellow. and hematite is red. During the 19th century they were amalgamated under the name Vereinigte Crux-Zechen. but later they were simply called Schwarzer Crux.

The former mine building is today a restaurant named Schwarzer Crux. One wing of the building is used for the mining museum, created by a non-profit organization of localmining friends. It has a mineral collection, old mining tools and survey instruments, historic photographs, documents,coins and medals.

The restaurant is also the starting point for the guided tours through the show mine. Museum and show mine are open at the same time as the restaurant.