|Location:||Český Krumlov, southern Bohemia. On the outskirts of Cesky Krumlov, follow Chvalsinska street towards Kajov and Prachatice.|
|Open:||MAY to JUN only by appointment. JUL to AUG Mon-Fri 9-17, tours every 30min. SEP to OCT only by appointment. |
|Fee:||Adults CZK 200, Children (6-15) CZK 140. |
|Classification:||Graphite Mine, proterozoic/paleozoic biogenic graphites in marbles (moldanubic crystallinicum)|
|Dimension:||A=500m asl, T=8°C, L=5,000m.|
|Guided tours:||L=1,800m, ST=5, D=80min, clothing, shoes and lamps provided.|
L. Tichy (nY):
VEGA-L, cca 1990s, ISBN 80-85627-42-6
|Address:||Grafitový důl a. s., Chvalšinská ul., 38101 Český Krumlov, Tel: +420-380-711199, Fax: +420-388-324421. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|~500BC||mined by the Celts as an additive to ceramics.|
|13th cty||first mining developed around Passau in the Šumava Forest.|
|1767||graphite mining at Český Krumlov first mentioned.|
|19th cty||start of deep mining.|
|1972-1975||Cesky Krumlov mine reopened for mining.|
|1992||Historic Centre of Český Krumlov inscribed into the UNESCO World Heritage List.|
|1994||mine opened for public tours.|
|2003||mine abandoned, show mine continues.|
The small village of Český Krumlov is famous for its graphite deposits. Layers of 1m to 20m thickness extend for about one kilometre. At some points this layers reached the surface and were mined as early as Celtic times. During the Halstatt and La Téne period the graphite was used in ceramic production. Modern mining started in the mid 18th century, the mining at Český
Several other graphite mines exist in the same geologic structure of the moldanubic crystallinicum. This is an area of highly metamorphic rocks like gneisses, located along the two rivers Danube and Vitava (which is called Moldau in German). So the geologists named the geologic structure between Moldau and Danube moldanubic crystallinicum which is composed of the names of the rivers. The metamorphization - caused by heat and pressure - alterated the rocks and some layers of coal too. The coal became graphite.
The first graphite mining in this complex is known from the area around Passau during the 13th century. Krumau (Krumlov) is first mentioned in 1767. The Schwarzenberger Graphitbergwerke (Schwarzenberg graphite mines) were opened in the Šumava foothills by the Fördergesellschaft Eggert (Eggert Mining Co.). The Czech Graphite Company opened mines at Hurka.
Until recently Grafit Netolice mined at the mine Bližná near Cerná v Pošumaví (Schwarzbach im Böhmerwald) and in Ceský Krumlov. The mined graphite was transformed into concentrate at Netolice, refined, and used for the production of lubricants and emulsions in the chemical plants of Týn nad Vltavou. Ceský Krumlov was closed very recently, as a result of the changing times. The exhibition is very interesting, as it shows mining technology of the present.
Český Krumlov is picturesquely embedded in a double meander of the Vitava river. It is listed on the UNESCO cultural heritage list because of its picturesque buildings and its cultural heritage. The old town center is very well preserved.