|Location:||Storwartz, 12km northeast Røros center.|
|Guided tours:||self guided QR tour|
Storwartz feltet, 7374 Røros, Tel: +47-72-410000.
Trøndelag Reiseliv AS, Nordre gate 11, 7011 Trondheim, Tel: +47-73-842440, Fax: +47-73-842450. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1645||Gamle Storwartz first mine opened.|
|1980||Røros inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.|
|2010||extension of the UNESCO World Heritage List inscription includes Storwartz.|
The Storwartz feltet (Storwartz mining area) was one of Røros Copper Works’ most important mining areas, located northeast of the town Røros. Nine mines were operating here between 1645 and 1972. The abandoned mine buildings and the remains of the underground mining tunnels are part of the Unesco WHL area of Røros. The remains include an overhead cable transportation systems, shaft openings, miners’ barracks, and managers’ houses. There is also a system of for water management with dams, water wheel trenches and an extensive network of water channels. In the 20th century the ore was transported from Olavsgruva to Storwartz with a cableway, most of the towers still exist.
In 1646, King Christian IV wrote a letter of Privilege giving Røros copperworks the sole rights to minerals, forests, waterways and labour within a radius of four old Norwegian miles (40km). The first mine at Storwartz, Gamle Storwartz was opened the year before. Numerous other mines were opened and operated. Some were reopened with the development in mining technology. At the begin of the 20th century Nye Storwartz mine, Christianus Quintus mine and Nyberget gruve were operated. Two were closed at the begin of World War I, at the end of the war Gamle Storwartz was reopened. In 1947 all mines except Olavsgruva were closed, but this last mine was finally closed in 1972. All nine mines of the field and their operating years are:
The Storwartz mine field is part of the Røros museum. It can be visited on self guided trips, the monuments are marked with QR codes. After loading the app on your smartphone it will providing information about the buildings. For groups its also possible to book guided tours at the Røros Museum.