Am Fürstenberg 6, 08344 Grünhain-Beierfeld OT Waschleithe.
B101 between Schlema and Annaberg-Buchholz, at Schwarzenberg take Elterleiner Straße towards Waschleithe, after 3.6 km turn left. Signposted.
All year Tue-Sun 13, 14, 15.
Adults EUR 8, Children (4-) EUR 4, Family EUR 20.
Groups (10+): Adults EUR 7, Children EUR 3.
|Classification:||Polymetallic: iron, copper, arsen, zinc, lead and silver. Marble.|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||D=60 min, St=250, VR=80 m, MinAge=4.|
|Accessibility:||No, 250 steps|
|Address:||Schaubergwerk "Herkules-Frisch-Glück", Am Fürstenberg 6, 08344 Grünhain-Beierfeld OT Waschleithe, Tel: +49-3774-24252.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1688||Fundgrube Frisch Glück first mentioned in a mining report of the mining authority Annaberg.|
|1705||Mining of silver, copper, lead, zinc blende and some ironstone.|
|1793||"Herkules" mine first mentioned.|
|1830||Revival of the Fundgrube Frisch Glück with an investment of 2,500 talers by the state.|
|1855||Establishment of a Gewerkschaft (miner union).|
|1906||Merger of the two mines under the name "Herkules-Frisch-Glück", begin of marble mining.|
|1921||mine deleted in the mining authority files.|
|1926||Educational and show mine opened to the public by the Erzgebirge tourist association.|
|1939||show mine closed because of World War II.|
|1947-1951||Unsuccessful exploration for uranium ore by SDAG Wismut.|
|1964||show mine reconstructed by mining aprentices from the miners school SDAG Wismut Schlema.|
|1966||reopened as a show mine.|
A typical hydrothermal polymetallic gangue deposit. A vein with scheelite is exposed in the show mine. The tungsten ore fluoresces intensely blue under short-wave UV light. Another specialty is the location in marble.
The Herkules-Frisch-Glück mine is the oldest show mine of Saxonia. It was opened as a show mine by the Verkehrsverein Erzgebirge (Tourism Club Erzgebirge). But with the beginning of World War II in 1939 the show mine was closed. Between 1947 and 1951 SAG Wismut was searching for uranium ores in this mine, obviously with no result. So the show mine was reconstructed from 1964 by mining apprentices from the miners school SDAG Wismut Schlema. In 1966 the show mine was reopened.
This site is exceptional for the geologic situation, polymetalic ores in combination with marble. The highlights of the tour are the Kleine Marmorsaal (Small Marble Hall) and the Grosse Marmorsaal (Big Marble Hall) and a subterranean lake. In addition, there is a stamping mill, an ore washing plant, a mine forge, and a working racing furnace.
There are numerous events inside the mine, like concerts and an event locally called Mettenschicht. This was the last shift before Christmas, where work ended a bit earlier and then the men made a little Christmas ceremony and got a meal, typically sausages, mashed potatoes and sauerkraut. And of course there was schnaps and a cigar. Today this tradition is revived in the weeks before Christmas for the tourists. There are also special tours for children from the age of 4. They are allowed to do some mining with hammer and chisel and mine some marble. The mine is also used for underground marriages.