Useful Information

Location: Zur Papierfabrik 13, 09212 Limbach-Oberfrohna.
From Wolkenburg follow the road Zur Papierfabrik towards Herrnsdorf. After the Bergamtshaus (former house of the mine management) park at parking lot. Follow Muldental-Radwanderweg to the mine entrance.
(50.8897489, 12.6439752)
Open: After appointment.
Fee: Adults EUR 10.
Classification: MineSand Mine MineCopper Mine MineLead Mine
Light: bring torch
Guided tours:
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: no
Bibliography: M. Pitschel (1993): Das Wolkenburger Bergbaugebiet und seine Mineralien Min.-Welt, Jg.4, Nr.5, S.6.
H. Krümmer (2000): Der Wolkenburger Silberbergbau von 1345 bis 1841 herausgegeben von der AG Altbergbau/Geologie Westsachsen e.V.
Address: Arbeitsgemeinschaft Altbergbau & Geologie Westsachsen e.V., Bergamtshaus, Zur Papierfabrik 10, 09212 Limbach-Oberfrohna, OT Wolkenburg. E-mail: contact
Request for tours: P. Schurmann, Tel: +49-3722-403495. E-mail: contact
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1739 adit started.
1749 ore reached.
1751 mine closed.
1980 start of excavation of the tunnel.


The Wolkenburg mining district is a rather small area between the villages of Niederwinkel, Uhlsdorf, Herrnsdorf and Wolkenburg. Copper, lead and silver ore veins were mined here from the 14th century.


The Segen-Gottes-Erbstolln is located between Wolkenburg and Niederwinkel in the valley of the Haublerbach, a tributary of the Mulde. The tunnel was opened in 1739 and dug by hand with mallet and iron over a period of ten years. Mica slate and granulite were traversed to reach the Victor-Stehenden (Victor standing seam). It was intended to serve both as a haulage tunnel and as an adit or water drainage tunnel. The tunnel rises continuously up to the mine, making it easier to mine downhill, and the water flows out of the mine by itself due to the gradient.

The tunnel is exceptionally high, in the past the floor was raised by wooden planks under which the water could flow undisturbed, at the same time the miner reached the mine without having to walk in the water all the time. The ceiling of the tunnel is very evenly worked, without protrusions. The reason for this additional effort was probably the fact that miners did not have helmets at the time, only felt caps. This avoided any protrusions in the ceiling that could have caused bumps.

The tunnel is still in use today for draining water from the mines. However, it was never used for mining. The beginning of a widening can be found approximately in the centre of the tunnel on one side. Starting from the ceiling, the tunnel was widened to provide space for hunts. However, this work was not completed.

The visitor mine "Segen-Gottes-Erbstolln" is located in the Wolkenburg mining district, in the valley of the Zwickauer Mulde between the towns of Penig and Waldenburg. The mining district around the Ullersberg between Wolkenburg and Niederwinkel is one of the oldest ore mining districts in Saxony. It had its heyday in the first and second mining periods (1280-1350 and 1512-1590). The names of 26 pits have survived, but unfortunately no details and in particular no hard facts or surveys. The Arbeitsgemeinschaft Altbergbau & Geologie Westsachsen e.V. has been researching the history and evidence of mining since 1980. They have also opened up two tunnels, St. Anna Fundgrube and the Segen Gottes Erbstollen, and made them accessible to the public as show mines. They have also set up a small museum on the history of mining and the mineralogy of the region in the oldest building in the village, the former Bergamtshaus (mining office building). The Segen-Gottes-Erbstolln is about 1.5 kilometres from the museum, and a visit to the tunnel includes a walk along the mining trail.