|Location:||Near Feilbingert. Follow signs to the Wald- und Wanderparkplatz. 500m walk to the entrance, or call a mine trail by the mine phone.|
APR to 01-NOV Tue-Sun 10-18, tours 10:30-16:30.
Adults EUR 5.50, Children (5-18) EUR 4.50, Children (0-4) free, Family (2+3) EUR 14, Disabled EUR 4.50, Kurkarte EUR 4.50.
Groups (12+): Adults EUR 5, Children (5-18) EUR 4.
Groups (40+): Adults EUR 4.50, Children (5-18) EUR 3.50.
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1438||begin of mining.|
|1976||start of development as a show mine.|
|30-MAY-1981||opened to the public.|
In the Schmittenstollen the mineral cinnabar was mined, which is mercury sulfide. It was deposited during the lower Perm, which is locally named Rotliegendes. At this time higly viscose magama welled up from great depth and formed two magma domes, the Lemberg and the Niederhäuser Wald to the east. Those domes caused tectonic movements like the tilt of formerly horizontal sedimentary layers and several massive volcanic eruptions. The heat of the magma was the reason why mercury rich ores were deposited hydrothermally.
The Schmittenstollen is the only mercury mine open to the public in Germany. And it is one of very few mercury mines open to to the public worldwide.
This is one of approximately 80 mines near Feilbingert, where the local mercury deposits were mined. There are three different deposits which are accessible inside this mine, the Schmittenzug, the Martinszug and the Zug Treue Zuversicht.
This mine was operated three times, first between 15th and 17th century by manual means like hammer and chisel. Several parts of the show mine originate from this era. Between the 17th and 18th century the mining was a little more modern. The current size of the Schmittenstollen is a result of the modern mining between mid 19th century and 1942. In this time the ores were transported underground to the nearby mine Karlsglückstollen, then with a cableway Niederhausen. From here the ore was transported by Reichsbahn lorries to the Quecksilberhütte Obermoschel.
The development of this mine was a lot of work. About 80m³ of debris had to be removed to open the main adit, the Schmittenstollen.