|Location:||Schmalkalden, Asbach. At the road L2610 to Struth-Helmersdorf.|
APR to OCT Wed-Sun 10-17.
Winter: groups after appointment.
Adults EUR 2, Children (6-18) EUR 1, Students EUR 1, Disabled EUR 1, Family EUR 4.
Groups (10+): Adults EUR 1.50, Children (6-18) EUR 0.50.
|Dimension:||T=10°C, A=414m asl.|
|Guided tours:||L=300m, D=45min.|
Dieter Eckardt (1991):
Schloss Wilhelmsburg Schmalkalden,
mit Technischem Denkmal Neue Hütte Weidebrunn und Schaubergwerk Finstertal Asbach.
88 S., kart.
|Address:||Schaubergwerk "Finstertal" Asbach, Schloßberg 9, 98574 Schmalkalden-Asbach, Tel: +49-3683-488037, Fax: +49-3683-488037. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|16th cty||Schmelzhütte (furnace), Eisenhämmer (hammers) and Schleifkothen (grinding shops) are built.|
|1858||Eisen- und Braunsteingrube "Finstertal" founded.|
|1959||reopend as "Lehr- und Besucherbergwerk" (tourist mine).|
The mine at Asbach, originally dubbed Eisen- und Braunsteingrube "Finstertal" (iron and brown stone mine "Finstertal"), is rather young. The mining activities in this area started already during the 16th century, but this mine was started in 1858 and finally closed in 1934. As a result the tous does not show medieval mining technology, but rather modern Gezähe (tools) originating from he 80 working years of the mine. Most tools are driven by air pressure, and there is a compressor from 1919. A small exhibit gives an overview on the light sources of the miners.
An interesting part beneath the technology is the geology of the mine. The visited tunnel, about 300m long, offers various interesting geologic structures including iron ores and flourescent minerals. The model of an old Haspelkaue, a sort of crane with a claw, is used to fish treasures from a box, obviously intended for children.