Deutschkatharinenberg 14, 09548 Deutschneudorf
Ganzjährig Di-So 10:30-16.
Mine: Ganzjährig Di-Fr 10:30, 12, 13:30, Sa, So 10:30, 12, 13:30, 15.
Erwachsene EUR 8, Kinder (6-12) EUR 4,50, Schüler EUR 6,50, Student EUR 6,50, Schwerbeschädigt EUR 7,50.
Gruppen (): auf Anfrage.
|Classification:||Copper Mine, Silver Mine|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||D=45 min, MinAge=6.|
|Address:||Abenteuer Bergwerk Bernsteinzimmer und Gaststätte Huthaus, Mandy Wagner, Deutschkatharinenberg 14, 09548 Deutschneudorf, Tel: +49-37368-12942, Mobil: +49-151-7301-9619, Fax: +49-37368-12943. E-mail: E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1514||Start of mining.|
|1922||steam engine installed.|
|2001||Show mine opened.|
The Abenteuer Bergwerk Bernsteinzimmer (Adventure Mine Amber Room) is located in the Fortuna Fundgrube or also Morgenröthe Fundgrube. The exhibition mine is relatively young, it was only opened in 2001. In addition to the mine, the former Huthaus (hat house) has also been converted into a restaurant offering down-to-earth, home-cooked cuisine. It is also available for events such as birthdays, weddings or corporate functions. Two galleries and the Steigerstube can be added if required or used as adjoining rooms. The galleries contain a mining exhibition, and there is also more mining equipment in the outdoor area. Among other things, an operational steam engine from 1922 can be seen here. Above the mine, a Schachtkaue was built in the old style. A reconstructed waterworks with a working wooden piston pump based on an old model can also be seen.
The "Amber Room" in the name seems to be just marketing nonsense; after all, the Amber Room has not yet been found, not even in this mine. The stories about missing art objects of World War II are justified as a logical conclusion from concealed transports at the end of the 2nd World War and the almost complete backfilling of the old mine. In the end, however, this is merely esotericism; nothing has been found so far, although about 4000 m³ of material has been removed to date.
The existence of two show mines just 300 m apart seems somewhat strange. The Nicolai-Stollen is located on the Czech side of the border in Hora Svaté Kateřiny (Mount Saint Catherine). The Ore Mountains on the German and Czech sides (Krušnohoří) are now jointly on the UNESCO World Heritage List.