Schriesheim an der Bergstraße, Rhein-Neckar-Kreis.
North of Heidelberg
A5 (E35) exit Ladenburg-Schriesheim, L536 to the village, turn right on B3, then left on road to Altenbach. On the left side.
|Open:||18-MAR to 04-NOV Sun, Hol 11-16:30, last entry. |
Adults EUR 3.50, Children (4-14) EUR 2.40.
|Address:||Besucherbergwerk Grube Anna-Elisabeth, Talstraße 157, 69198 Schriesheim, Tel: +49-6203-68167, Fax: +49-6203-660186. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1473||first written mention, silver mining.|
|1545||mine closed first time.|
|1701||mine reopened, mining of iron and copper vitriol ores.|
|1782||Sudhaus for the production of vitriol errected.|
|1943 bis 1945||used as air raid shelter.|
|1985||protected as historic monument.|
|1987||opened to the public.|
The Grube Anna-Elisabeth was first mined at about the some time the nearby castle Strahlenburg, the landmark of Schriesheim, was built. The castke was built by the Ritter von Strahlenber with the revenue of the mine. The remaining silver was used to buy the surrounding villages of Altneudorf, Vorderheubach, Hinterheubach und Heiligkreuzsteinach. But when the silver ore was exhausted the mine was closed.
The second mining era was more than 150 years later, but then a different ore was mined. Iron sulfate or iron vitriol (FeSO4) was used for the production of ink. Unfortunately this was not very profitable. But this changed when the Saxon miner Eugen Schulmeister started to mine copper vitriol in the rear part of the mine in 1780. Because of the high quality of the ore, there was a good revenue for some decades.