|Address:||Marienschlucht, Tel: +49-, Fax: +49-,|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1986||relief of Mary installed.|
The Marienschlucht (Mary's Gorge) was developed in 1897, a time in which tourism already flourished in the area. At this time the son of Freiherr Johann Franz von Bodman, Othmar, become engaged with Gräfin Maria von Walderdorff. The gorge was named Maria-Schlucht after the fiancée, but soon became known as Marienschlucht, which actually means St. Mary. This name change was accepted by the family, in 1986 Wilderich Graf von und zu Bodman installed a relief of Mary at the entrance of the gorge which was created by the artist Markus Daum from Radolfzell.
The gorge is up to 30 m deep, cut into the rocks of the Molasse by a small river, with a vertical range of 100 m from the plateau to the lake. It starts at Kargegg, a small village near Langenrain. It ends at the Bodensee (Lake Konstanz), where a small kiosk and a beach can be found. Many people reach the gorge by foot along the beach from Bodman (6 km) or Wallhausen (4 km). There is also a regular ship from Bodman, Ludwigshafen, Sipplingen, and Überlingen which stops at the gorge. At the Strandbad Wallhausen canoes are rented, and it is possible to reach the gorge with the canoe. The trip through the gorge is very easy, but has a lot of steps. Some physical fitness and the ability to climb a long staircase are required.