|Location:||Medzevska Upland, near Jasov. Kosicka kotlina, Medzevska pahorkatina, cadastral area Jasov, district Kosice - okolie, Kosicky region.|
APR to 15-MAY Tue-Sun 9:30 11 12:30 14
16-MAY to 15-SEP Tue-Sun 9-16 on the full hour
16-SEP to OCT Tue-Sun 9:30 11 12:30 14
|Fee:||Adults 60,- SKK, Students 50,- SKK, Children (4-15) 30,- SKK, Foto 100,- SKK, Video 200,- SKK. Foreign language tour (additional): Adults 40,- SKK, Students 30,- SKK, Children (4-15) 20,- SKK.|
|Classification:||mesozoic carbonate rocks of the Silica Nappe - limestones and dolomites of the Middle Triassic.|
|Dimension:||L=2308m, H=42m, T=9°C, H=90-98%.|
|Guided tours:||L=720m, D=45min. V=22,000/a |
Jasovská Jaskyna, 044 23 Jasov, Tel: +421-943-4664165.
Správa Slovenských Jaskýn, Hodžova 11, 031 01 Liptovský Mikuláš, +421-849-5536411, Fax: +421-849-5536311. E-mail: .
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1452||oldest inscription in the cave.|
|1846||first opened to the public by Alojz Richter, an abbot of Jasov Monastery.|
|1878||first archaeological research by J. Nyari.|
|1916||first systematical exploration by geologist and paleontologist T. Kormos.|
|1923-24||explored, surveyed and first plan of the cave by V. Bluma and J. Zikmund.|
|20-JUL-1924||reopened after modern development.|
|1924-25||extensive archaeological research by Prof. J. Eisner.|
|1926||electric light installed.|
|1931||new artificial entrance created.|
|1955||archaeological research by V. Lozek.|
|1962||geomorphological research by A. Droppa.|
|1978||archaeological rescue investigation because of a modification of the entrance part.|
|1995||start of speleotherapy in the cave.|
Jasovská Jaskyna< (Jasov Cave) is one of the oldest show caves in world. It is situated near the town of the same name on the eastern edge of the Slovak karst. It is located in the northern foothills of the Jasov plateau, in a rocky cliff known as the Maiden's Rock at an altitude of 256 m asl. It was formed on five levels by the Bodva River in the limestone of the Middle Triassic Gutenstein Dolomites and the Steinalm Limestones and Dolomites.
The cave is famous for its archaeological finds which date from the Palaeolithic or Old Stone Age and which include bones of the cave bear or Ursus spelaeus and cave hyaena, Crocuta spelaea. Finds also date from the Neolithic or New Stone Age when the cave was inhabited by early man. There have been rich finds from the Bükk culture, about 6400 to 6100 BC, including pottery and bones. The Bronze Age, Hallstatt and Roman Periods to the Middle Ages are also well represented. During Tatar and Turkish raids it was used by the local population as a refuge. In the Hussite Hall there is a charcoal inscription dating from the year 1452 which describes the victory of the "Brethren's Armies of Jan Juskra of Brandys".
Seventeen species of bat are found in the cave. The Greater Horseshoe Bat, Rhinolophus ferrum equinum is the most prolific followed by the Lesser Horseshose Bat, Rhinolophus hipposideros. This cave is regarded as the most important winter habitation site for bats in the whole of Slovakia.
The cave is noted for its abundance of speleothems which have been described as a "Wealth of Virgin Stalactites". The first chamber "The Old Hall" or Stary Dom contains curtain like stalactites, and gigantic stalagmites. But the characteristic styles of decoration are the plum-like stalactites and the mighty pagodas of various shapes and colours. An unusually fine impression is given from the beauty of the "Great Dome or Velky Dom with rich speleothems known as the Great Waterfall, the Gallery, the Palm Grove, and the Weeping Willow, respectively. All this is overshadowed by the depth of the colour of the water in The Deep Lake. This is one of the largest chambers in the cave formed at the junction of the "Bat's House" or Dom Netopierov and the Maze.
This is one of the best known but least publicised caves in Slovakia.
Text by Tony Oldham (2002). With kind permission.
Near the Jasov Cave lies a Premonstratensian monastery. According to an old legend, it was discovered by a monk who dared to take a look into the mysterious underground while collecting medicinal herbs. The monks opened the cave to the public in 1846 after some modifications to allow easier navigation. It seems the cave was closed or at least became quite unpopular. But in 1923 the cave was first speleologically explored, surveyed and the first plan of the cave drawn by V. Bluma and J. Zikmund. At the same time the trails were repaired and the show cave reopened in 1924. Soon after electric light was installed.