Bystrianska Jaskyna

Bystrianska Cave


Useful Information

Location: Horehronske podolie, Bystrianske podhorie, cadastral area Bystra a Valaska, district Brezno, Banskobystricky region.
Upper Hron River Valley, at the southern border of Bystra village, near Brezno. From the parking lot level walk of 120m to the cave entrance.
(48.8395004, 19.5949001)
Open: 15-MAY to MAY Tue-Sun 9:30, 11, 12:30, 14.
JUN to AUG Tue-Sun 9-16, hourly on the full hour.
SEP to 15-NOV Tue-Sun 9:30, 11, 12:30, 14.
[2021]
Fee: Adults EUR 6, Children (6-15) EUR 3, Students EUR 5, Disabled EUR 3, Seniors (60+) EUR 5.
Foto Permit EUR 7.
[2021]
Classification: SpeleologyKarst cave ExplainSpeleotherapy Middle Triassic limestones.
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Dimension: L=3,531 m, VR=99 m, T=5.7-6.7 °C, H=92-98 %, A=565 m asl.
Guided tours: L=580 m, D=45 min, St=26. Developed paths: L=545 m. V=30,000/a [2000]
Photography:  
Accessibility: no
Bibliography:  
Address: Bystrianska Cave, 977 01 Brezno, Tel: +421-48-6195133. E-mail:
Správa slovenských jaskýň, Hodžova 11, 031 01 Liptovský Mikuláš, Tel: +421-44-553-61-01, Tel: +421-44-553-64-11. E-mail: contact.
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

1923 cave first explored by J. Kovalčík and E. Laubert.
1926 E. and A. Hollmann and J. Kovalčík discover Peklo (Hell Abyss).
1927 members of the Carpathian Convention from Banská Bystrica survey the cave, New Cave discovered.
1932 lower entrance tunnel into the New Cave, the exit of today’s show path, built.
1939-1940 a short part of the cave was opened to the public without electric light by the Cooperative of Bystrá Caves.
1951 Mostárenské Halls in the New Cave discovered.
1955 Old and New Cave connected by J. Majko, J. Vytřísalová, and others.
1968 developed and opened to the public.
1971 start of speleotherapy in the cave in the Lower Guerilla Hall.

Description

Bystrianska Cave was known to the locals since ancient times, but only the part which is now called the Old Cave. But it was actually never explored until J. Kovalčík and E. Laubert in 1923 discovered more passages. During the next years first Peklo (Hell Abyss) and the New Cave were discovered and surveyed. Then an artificial entrance tunnel was constructed, which was intended to make the exploration easier. A few years later, in 1938, the section of the cave which became accessible with the tunnel was opened for the public, but it was not very well developed and there was no electric light. During World War II the cave was a hideout for partisans and a tragic event is commemorated on a plate in this first chamber.

The cave was originally called Old Cave, the newly discovered passages New Cave. After they were connected in 1955 the combined cave system was finally developed as a show cave in 1968 and got the name Bystrianska Cave from the town Bystrá, where it is located. For this, the second tunnel was built through which the cave is today entered. After following the passage for some time an orthogonal passage is reached. The right branch leads to a staircase which goes up to a small chamber with numerous stalactites and stalagmites. After returning to the crossing the tour takes the branch to the left, which finally leads to the exit tunnel. There are numerous small chambers, narrow passages up to ten or even 15 m high and river passages with scallops. Now and then there are fine speleothems in niches, and several times an abyss allows a view into the lower water filled passages. In summer and autumn there is no water and the cave is quiet, in spring you hear the sound of the river from below.

The cave formed in the Choč Nappe, Middle Triassic dark grey limestones with chert intercalations and pale-grey dolomites. The cave passages formed along tectonic faults. They were formed by rain water from the southern slopes of the Low Tatras Mountains which reached the limestone and went underground. The meander riverbed in the Old Cave is the oldest part of the cave, and about 70 m above the current river. The lowest and youngest parts of the New Cave are the still active parts of the cave system, continually enlarged by the flowing river. The Bystrianka river goes underground 160 m from the end of the cave and 14 m higher. This section of the cave is not yet explored, although it is obviously there. The river reappears at the end of the limestone area in Valaská, after flowing underground for 3,300 m and 70 m deeper than the swallow hole.

The cave is home to 13 bat species, the most abundant are Lesser Horseshoe Bat (Rhinolophus hipposideros) and Greater Mouse-Eared Bat (Myotis myotis).

A maze cave developed in complexly folded limestone. The cave has a dedicated chamber for speleotherapy. Speleotherapy is highly regarded in Eastern Europe for treating childhood asthma. Children spend many hours underground undertaking supervised exercise and rest periods in the clean atmosphere of the caves.


Text by Tony Oldham (2002). With kind permission.