Podziemne Fabryki Walimia

Walim Underground Factories

Useful Information

Location: Walim, ul 3 Maja 26, province of Walbrzych. Between Walbrzych and Klodzko, east of the road.
Open: MAY to SEP Mon-Fri 9-18, Sat, Sun, Hol 9-19.
OCT to APR Mon-Fri 9-17, Sat, Sun, Hol 9-18.
Closed Easter Sunday, 01-NOV, 25-DEC.
Fee: Adults PLZ 10, Reduced PLZ 7.
Night tour PLZ 12, Interpreter PLZ 100.
Classification: ExplainFactory
Light: electric
Dimension: T=5°C
Guided tours: D=70min, L=750m.
Address: Owner: Walim Municipal Office, 58-320 Walim, ul Samorzadowa 1, Tel/Fax: +48-74-457-323.
Management: Walim Tourist Bureau, 58-320 Walim, ul 3 Maja 26, Tel/Fax: +48-74-457-300.
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


1943 construction started.
1945 construction ended unfished at the end of World War II.


The factories are located both on the surface and underground. They date from World War II and were built during 1943-45 but never finished. They are known locally as "Walim dungeons - unfinished structure".

Facilities: Exhibition of "Al Riese Labour Camp", weapons from WW II, 19th century fire fighting equipment, minerals, "rock garden", gift shop, cafe and camping.

Text by Tony Oldham (2002). With kind permission.

The underground structure named Unternehmen Riese (giant enterprise) includes seven undergound structures in the Góry Sowie (Owl Mountains) of former Niederschlesien (Lower Silesia). The construction was started by the Third Reich Germany in 1943 and in 1945 at the end of World War II they were still unfinished. Most likely is the intended use as an underground factory for war production. Some say it was intended as an hideout for Hitler, similar to the Wolfsschanze bunker. And there is a chance that it was intended for the construction of a super weapon, especially the atomic bomb. Some even guessed it could be the location of the lost Bernsteinzimmer, the amber room.

At the moment three of the underground factories are open for the public, at Rzeczka, Osówka and Walim. At the village Walim is the centre of the whole structure with a museum and the above mentioned exhibitions. It is the ideal starting point for visiting the underground structures.