|Location:||Northwest of Radochów, on the other side of the alvary Mountain.|
Summer Mon, Wed-Sun 10-17.
Adults PLN 6.
|Light:||bring electric torch|
|Guided tours:||self guided. For groups after appointment.|
|Address:||Jaskinia Radochowska, Tel: +48-502-147701, Tel: +48-511-125499, Tel: +48-663-382682, Fax: +48-,|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1757||first written mention.|
|1881||described by Aleksander Ostrowicz in his tourist guidebook.|
Jaskinia Radochowska (Cave of Radochów) is named after nearby cave Radochów. The cave is almost horizontal, not very well developed and visited by the light of a torch. The cave consists of three parallel passages and a fourth on which crosses and connects them. Originally the cave had three entrances, but one of them collapsed. The cave is knwon for centuries and has been praised as a tourist attraction numerous times. Here is one example:
The entrance to the caves is inconvenient; there are two spacious caves with numerous stalactitic deposits. Crystal clear water constantly comes from these deposits. Although these stalactites are immature and the cave cannot even be compared with other caves of this type, for example those in Adelsberg, it is still worth to visit for those who did not have the possibility to see bigger caves. It might also be useful to mention that the cave, as many other caves of this type, is wet, the water is constantly coming down from its roof so visiting it in elegant outfit is not practical.
Text by Aleksander Ostrowicz (1881).
During the early years the cave was ungated and the visitors caused numerous damages. Today no speleothems remain. Between World War I and II the retired miner Henryk Perigrin became caretaker of the cave. He had a house in a nearby clearing and started to develop the cave by removing the cave sediments to create a trail. He also created an exhibition in his house with the things he discovered during this work. According to his notes the cave was visited by some 200 people every year.
After World War II the cave became the shelter of a group of members of national socialist saboteurs. When they were caught the cave was abandoned and once more open and subject to vandalism. Some years ago the cave was leased and is now closed and operated as a show cave.
Radochowska Cave is a cave bear site, but of much lesser fame than nearby Jaskinia Niedźwiedzia (Bears' Cave). There were much lesser bones in the cave, but a speciality were cave bear skulls placed at the foot of the walls, surrounded by stones and covered by a rock slab. This is pretty similar to a funeral and was interpreted as some kind of bear cult. Such discoveries are really rare and many have been destroyed over the centuries by trespassers, vandals and ignorat scientists. As a result the question if there once was a cave bear cult is impossibe to answer with this sparse evidence.