Mid-MAR to OCT daily 9-16:30.
NOV daily 9-16.
DEC to mid-MAR daily 10-15.
Adults JPY 800, Elementary JPY 500, Junior High School JPY 500, Disabled JPY 700.
Groups: Adults JPY 700, Elementary JPY 400, Junior High School JPY 400.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Dimension:||L=2,200 m, T=10 °C.|
|Guided tours:||D=40 min.|
|Address:||Fujido Cave, 665 Kawawa, Ueno, Tano District, Gunma 370-1614, Tel: +81-274-59-3117.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1992||new branch of the cave discovered.|
不二洞とな (Fujido) is Kanto's biggest limestone cave, located at the slopes of Mt. Ofukuju. It was discovered 1,200 years ago, when this are was was covered by virgin forest. Various wild animals lived there, including monkeys. One day the monkeys gathered and made an extraordinary noise, the villagers became curious and approached the place. They found a small hole in the ground, and named it ら庚申の穴 (The hole of the Yang Metal Monkey) or simply 猿の穴 (Monkey Hole).
Many people explored the cave during the centuries. The most famous one was probably Anso, the founder of Fujiwarayama Kichijoji, 400 years ago. He was a holy man and spread Buddhism in Japan. According to the legend he was the first who successfully explored the cave and then used it for meditation. As a result the name of the mountain was changed into 大福寿穴 (Daifukujuana, Dai Fukuju ana) and the new name was spread by monks.
About 200 years ago, an epidemic broke out in the Kawawa village. Etsugan, the sixth chief priest of Kichijoji, wrote the 100-volume sutra of Tendai on many stones and then put them into this cave. Here he prayed and so he calmed the epidemic down. The name of the cave was changed into Fujido to avoid such disasters in the future.