|Location:||Threlkeld Quarry is 5km east of Keswick and south of Threlkeld village.|
MAR to OCT daily 10-17.
Underground tours, daily at 14.
Museum: Adults GBP 3, Children (0-14) GBP 1.50.
Underground: Adults GBP 5, Children (under 14) GBP 2.50.
|Address:||Threlkeld Quarry and Mining Museum, Threlkeld Quarry, Keswick, Cumbria CA12 4TT, Tel: +44-17687-79747 or +44-1228-561-883 evening. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
Many original buildings remain and these include an engine shed, containing three locomotives which occasionally run on site. In the shed are also large mine tubs, machinery and a smithy. Another locomotive on site spent its working life at the Silverband barytes mine in east Cumbria. There is also a collection of earth moving machine, "Navvies".
The weighbridge and explosive store also remain intact as do the quarrymen's canteen, and in this building is housed the Museum and Shop. The latter sells a wide range of mining, geology and mineralogy books and includes a second-hand section. The shop also stocks a range of mine exploration and caving gear - lamps, clothing, hardware etc. A guided underground tour, which lasts for about 40 minutes illustrates mining technique from Elizabethan times to the present. There is free parking and toilet facilities for patrons. The museum also organises a series of mining heritage walks throughout the year. Details on request.
Text by Tony Oldham (2001). With kind permission.