|Location:||Keswick center, Otley House in Otley Road.|
Season daily 10-17.
Rest of year Tue-Sun 10-17.
Closed 25-DEC, 01-JAN.
Adults GBP 4, Children (6-16) GBP 1.50, Children (0-5) free.
Pre-Booked Evening Tours GBP 5.
|Address:||Keswick Mining Museum, Otley House, Otley Road, Keswick, CA12 5LE, Tel: +44-17687-80055. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1564||German miners arrived in search for copper and lead, start of mining.|
The Keswick Mining Museum is located in the centre of Keswick. This town is said to be the cradle of Cumbrian mining. The first mining activities were started by German miners which sought for lead and copper in 1564. The graphite found at Borrowdale was the base of a pencil industry. Another first, as it was the first discovery of this mineral in the world and never bettered in quality. Many other minerals were mined in this geologically rich area, slate, coal, iron, baryte and gypsum.
The Keswick Mining Museum was the first mining museum to be established in Cumbria. Its collection includes the finest collection of mining memorabilia in the country, namely the Ian Tyler Collection, the Willie Shaw Collection of Minerals and part of the William Creighton and the Willie Hemmingway Collection. The Geology and Mineral Room explains the geological structure of Cumbria, including the minerals and ores and the fossils of dinosaurs which can be found here. The Crystal Cave is a display of fluorescent minerals. There are also displays of Cumbria's gunpowder manufacture and use, the Mines Rescue Service. The historic exhibition concentrates on the lives of the miners, the Elizabethan Period and the history of Keswick Town. The museum shop provides more than 1,500 mining and geology related books.