In the middle of the small village at the Rue de la Vieille Église.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Address:||Église Troglodyte Saint-Cristofol, 5058B Rue de la Vieille Église, 12100 Comprégnac.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1673||Jean Farriere, a mason from Saint-Georges-de-Luzençon, built the upper part of the bell tower.|
|12-JUN-1936||listed as a historical monument.|
|1980s||reinforcement and renovation by Sauvegarde du Rouergue and the Friends of the Château de Montaigu.|
|1998||acquired by the Community of Communes Millau Grands Causses and preservation and enhancement work carried out.|
Église troglodytique Saint-Christophe (Cave Church Saint-Christophe) is located in the village Peyre. Peyre is located between the river Tarn and a cliff side, at the outside of a meander of the river. The cliff was formed by the erosion of the river which also created a huge shelter. The church was built into the cave in the Romanesque as a fortified church, the closing wall has defense works like loopholes and gatehouses. Peyre was the seat of an important priory, the church was probably both the church and the retreat of the monks and the inhabitants of the village during dangerous times. According to a local tradition, there were underground tunnels connecting the houses and the church underground. There is a crest which exists twice in the construction, showing a fantastic animal, half unicorn, half goat, which was the seal of the community. Inscriptions indicate renovation works in 1594 and 1609. The church is not used as a church anymore, since the mid 19th century there is a newer church nearby which is also dedicated to Saint-Christophe. Today it contains a museum.
The church was built during Romanesque times, it shows numerous of the typical barrel vaults. The Gothic window from the 15th century is the oldest in the church that has been preserved. It was partly ruined during the guerres de religion (religious wars) and was later renovated. Nearby Millau was a Protestant stronghold. The biggest alteration was in 1673, when Jean Farriere, a mason from Saint-Georges-de-Luzençon, built the upper part of the bell tower with its large opening for the bell. He also leveled the neighboring walls by drilling the so-called canonnières (gunholes). In the late 1980s the church was saved from ruin by the reinforcement and renovation work of the Sauvegarde du Rouergue and the Friends of the Château de Montaigu. In 1998 it was acquired by the Community of Communes Millau Grands Causses and preservation and enhancement work carried out. The new roof and the contemporary stained-glass windows are from this renovation. The stained-glass windows were created by Emmanuel Chauche, master glassmaker in Millau.