|Location:||A few km southeast of Angoulême, situated in a country park.|
APR to mid-JUN Sun, Hol 14:30, 16.
mid-JUN to JUN daily 14:30, 16.
JUL to AUG daily 12-19, last tour 17:45.
SEP Sun, Hol 14:30, 16.
Adults EUR 7, Children (4-12) EUR 5, Children (0-3) free.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 5.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Dimension:||T=9-12 °C, L=1,200 m, A=145 m asl.|
|Guided tours:||L=800 m, D=60 min.|
M. Trapateau (1928):
Les Grottes du Quéroy-Pranzac,
Etudes Locales, 9e année, N. 81, mai 1928, pp. 190-192
|Address:||Grottes du Quéroy, 16380 Chazelles, Angoulême et les environs (Charente), Tel: +33-545-703814, +33-545-674709.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1892||opened to the public.|
|1930||explored by Norbert Casteret.|
|1960s||developed, electric light, opened to the public.|
The visit to the Grottes du Quéroy is a 800 m long one way trip through 30 chambers with all kinds of speleothems. In the cave numerous archaeological remains were found, which are now on display in the musée d'Angoulême.
The cave was discovered by a Lise Bosnot walking her dog. The dog was chasing a dog into his foxhole, which actually was the cave entrance. The caves were named grottes de Barouty and almost immediately opened to the public. However, the development was very simple. Early explorations were made by Norbert Casteret.
During World War II the caves were used as a hideout by the resistance. Unfortunately they damaged some speleothems at the entrance.