On certain weekends, only with appointment, please call.
12-APR-2014, 13-APR-2014 10, 14, 16.
03-MAY-2014, 04-MAY-2014 10, 14, 16.
28-JUN-2014, 29-JUN-2014 10, 14, 16.
20-SEP-2014, 21-SEP-2014 10, 14, 16.
22-NOV-2014 10, 14, 16.
Adults EUR 7, Children (0-9) not allowed.
|Classification:||Iron Mine Room and Pillar Mining|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||D=2 h.|
|Address:||Mairie de Hussigny-godbrange, Tel: +33-382-444016, Fax: +33-382-443144. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1874||Labbe des Forges de Gorcy receives a concession to mine Hussigny, and decides to mine underground.|
|1878||opening of the railway line Longwy-Villerupt.|
|1878||The great Godbrange concession is granted to a group of master blacksmiths.|
|~1914||introduction of compressed air.|
|1954||Hussigny mine closed.|
|1955||consolidated operation of the mines Godbrange, Hussigny, and Tiercelet under a single management.|
|1967||open pit mining at Hussigny ends.|
|1969||first crisis hits the mine.|
|1986||pumps turned off, mine partly flooded.|
|1996||Association d'Histoire Industrielle (AHI) restores the mine.|
|1999||guided tours started.|
The Mines de Hussigny-Godbrange are abandoned iron mines, which are kept in a safe state. They are maintained as a mining museum, but it seems the number of visitor is not sufficient to allow regular open hours. So the mine is opened on certain weekends in spring and autumn. Participants must register, the number of visitors is limited to 20 per tour. This mine is in its original state, so bring warm clothes, which may get dirty and sturdy shoes. The helmet with miners headlamp is provided by the organizers.
The mining followed an almost horizontal orebody, which was estimated 10 million tonnes of ore, grading at least 33%. It is surrounded by limestone and siliceous limestone. The operation used the room and pillar method, on an area 1,000 m x 750 m parallel passages, 8 m wide and 7 m high, were mined.
The ore was transported with heavy machinery, and during the decades the size of the machines increased. The museum has all kinds of machinery in working condition on the site, and it is possible to show how they work. The mine is entered by car, and starts with a ride to the mining front. This shows the size of this mine.