16-MAR to JUN Sat, Sun, Hol 14-17.
JUL to AUG daily 14-17.
SEP to 11-NOV Sat, Sun, Hol 14-17.
Adults EUR 5, Children (10-18) EUR 2.50, Children (0-9) free.
Groups (15+) Adults EUR 3.20, School Pupils EUR 2.40.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||D=2 h, V=13,000/a.|
|Address:||Association La Mine Et Les Hommes, 34 rue du Bois Clair, 71450 Blanzy, Tel: +33-385-682285, Fax: +33-385-681665. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1761||mine operated by François de la Chaise.|
|1776||mine operated by Roettier de la Tour.|
|1777||mine operated by Desgrange-Happey-Joly et Cie.|
|1779||mine operated by Renard et Cie.|
|1782||mine operated by François de la Chaise again.|
|1786||mine operated by the royal foundry of Montcenis.|
|1789||during the French Evolution operated by Pourtalès-Perret-Desplaces et Cie.|
|1818||mine operated by Jules Chagot.|
|1826||mine operated by Chagot-Bassano-Perret.|
|1856||mine operated by Compagnie des Mines de Houille de Blanzy Chagot et Cie.|
|1882||Saint-Claude shaft closed.|
|1900||mine operated by Société Anonyme des Houillères de Blanzy.|
|1946||with the décret de nationalisation all coal mines are nationalized, mines of the Loire are managed by the Société des Houillères du Bassin de Blanzy.|
|1969||all coal managements of central and south France are merged.|
|1970||abandoned machinery collected by the mines and the city for the future museum.|
|1978||museum opened to the public under the name Écomusée Creusot-Montceau.|
|1981||headframe relocated to this place from the Pré Long mine at Montceau-les-Mines.|
|1982||engine room built and hoist installed.|
|1983||railroad tracks laid.|
|1987||entrance building completed.|
|1988||underground tour opened.|
|1992||underground mining in the area ends.|
|2000||surface operation ends.|
The Musée de la Mine de Blanzy is dedicated to the coal mining of the Loire basin. The sedimentary rocks here have coal seams which were mined underground. The museum offers the renovated surface buildings and the headframe of the former puit Saint-Claude (Saint-Claude shaft).
The underground tour starts with an elevator ride into the mine, a ride on the mine train for several hundred meters, and a walk through the mine. The tunnels are equipped like a typical working mine, with tools and machinery and the contemporary lining. The different departments of the underground museum start with the 1960s mining technology and go back to the early days of the min.