A Malakowturm (malakow tower) is a type of headframe. It was common in continental Europe in the 1850s to 1870s, but was also used later in some cases. It can be found in the Ruhr area, the Aachen region, Saarland, Saxony, Lower and Upper Silesia and occasionally in the Mansfeld region, Belgium and France. The fact that they were mainly used in hard coal, ore and potash salt mining was probably simply due to the fact that these typically had a need for conveyor systems. A typical feature is the massive construction of masonry, usually up to three metres thick brickwork, with fortress-like façades. The massive design and a stiffened construction inside were necessary to absorb the enormous tractive forces of the hoisting machines.
The name derives from the Малахова башня (Malakov Tower) at Fort Malakov, part of the Russian fortifications of Sevastopol. It was besieged for a long time during the Crimean War (1853 to 1856) and was finally captured by French troops in September 1855. Commander Aimable Pélissier was promoted to marshal for this and appointed Duc de Malakoff (Duke of Malakov). Malakow is the German spelling, Malakoff the French. The term became synonymous with strength, monumentality, massiveness, size and resilience. That is why the new, massive winding towers were popularly called Malakow towers, and the name stuck. However, the winding towers do not resemble the original at all architecturally. It was not until 1928 that the name was first introduced into literature by Carl Koschwitz.