Barrio de Tarriba, San Felices de Buelna.
On the Cerretera de los Corrales, the road from Los Corrales de Buelna to Puente Viesgo.
25-OCT to FEB Tue-Sun 10-14, tours 10, 11, 12, 13.
MAR to 14-JUN Tue-Sun 10-13, tours 10, 11, 12.
15-JUN to 14-SEP Tue-Sun 10:30-13:30, tours 10:30, 11:30, 12:30.
15-SEP to 14-OCT Tue-Sun 10-13, tours 10, 11, 12.
Closed 01-JAN, 06-JAN, 24-DEC, 25-DEC, 31-DEC.
Adults EUR 5, Children (4-12) EUR 1.50, Children (0-3) free, Students EUR 3, Seniors (65+) EUR 3, Disabled EUR 3.
|Classification:||Painted Cave Karst cave|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Address:||Cueva de Hornos de la Peña, San Felices de Buelna, Tel: +34-942-598425, Tel: +34-942-814111, Fax: +34-942-598305.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1903||Hermilio Alcalde del Río discovers the first cave paintings.|
|13-AUG-2008||inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.|
The Hornos de la Peña (Rock Ovens) are south facing overhangs in a limestone hill, which were for obvious reasons good shelters for our anchestors. The sunshine kept it warm, there was some protection from rain and wind, and it was higher than the surrounding ground and thus a good position to watch out for prey. The caves attracted the last groups of Neanderthals and the first Homo sapiens. Such shelters are called oven or something similar in many European countries, obviously they actually resemble ovens. The crag where the caves are located is called Peña de los Hornos.
The first cave paintings were discovered by Hermilio Alcalde del Río in 1903. At this time there were figures located in the exterior area, which are now gone.