A72 exit 20 Niederfrohna (end), B95 to Penig, turn right on B175 through Rochlitz to Colditz. A14 exit 31 Grimma, B107 through Grimma and Großbothen to Colditz.
APR to OCT Mon-Fri 8:30-17, Sat 9-17, Sun, Hol 10-17.
NOV to MAR daily 10-16.
Schlossführungen: APR to OCT daily 10:30, 13, 15.
NOV to MAR daily 11, 14:30.
Special tours after appointment
24-DEC to 26-DEC, 31-DEC, 01-JAn closed.
Adults EUR 6, School Pupils EUR 3, Students EUR 3, Disabled EUR 3, Family EUR 12.
Groups: Adults EUR 5, School Pupils EUR 1, Students EUR 1, Disabled EUR 1.
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
Schloß Colditz (castle Colditz) the town's landmark. It had its heyday under the reign of the Kurfürstin (Electress) Sophie von Sachsen. But it became famous because of its use by the Nazi Regime during World War II. They used it as a prison camp for allied officers called Offizierssonderlager Oflag IV c. The most prominent prisoner was the nephew of Winston Churchill, the British premier minister at that time.
The huge building seemed to be the ideal location for such a prison. Located high above the city on hard rock, it seemed to be unbreakable. But actually it was the opposite. There were more than 300 escapes during six years of war. And after the war the former prisoners wrote books, among more than 70 books several best sellers. Some were picturised in documentaries, movies, and TV sequels. But not to mix it up: this is not the place where The Great Escape happened. This famous movie was made after a story which happened in Stalag Luft III in Sagan in Poland.
The famous escape tunnel is located in the cellar. It was dug by eight French officers in 1941 to 1942, which took eight months. The tunnel has a length of 44m. 14m from the exit the tunnel was discovered by the Germans.
Today the castle contains a youth hostel. It may be visited on self guided tours, but the part of the youth hostel is not accessible. The rest of the huge castle contains a costume and a pottery workshop, a drawing school, the Museum OFLAG IVc a souvenir shop. Guided tours, which concentrate on the history during World War II, are held on several times a day.