• GoogleEarthGoogle Earth Placemark
  • Show Mines of Germany: Erlebnisbergwerk Velsen

    Erlebnisbergwerk Velsen

    Useful Information

    Location: Alte Grube Velsen 7, 66127 Saarbrücken.
    Völklingen, Velsen. A620 Saarbrücken-Völklingen, exit Großrosseln, follow signs to Bergwerk Warndt.
    (49.216144, 6.834239)
    Open: All year Sat 14, first Sunday every month 10-12.
    Online booking recommended.
    Fee: Adults EUR 12, Children (4-17) EUR 5.
    Groups: Base Price (-12) EUR 150, Additional Person EUR 12.
    Classification: MineCoal Mine
    Light: miners lamps provided
    Dimension: L=800 m, VR=45 m, T=12-14 °C.
    Guided tours: L=700 m, VR=25 m, D=90-240 min. Deutsch - German Français - French English Italiano - Italian
    Photography: allowed
    Accessibility: wheelchair accessible
    Address: Erlebnisbergwerk Velsen, Alte Grube Velsen 7, 66127 Saarbrücken, Tel: +49-176-56586013. E-mail:
    As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
    Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.


    1904 mine opened.
    1911 colliery house built.
    1916 steam winding engine installed.
    1944 air-raid shelter for the staff of the Velsen mine.
    1950 used as a training mine and as a show mine.
    2000 visitor tours resumed by RAG Bildung.
    2011 training mine closed.
    2012 Verein Erlebnisbergwerk Velsen (Velsen Adventure Mine Association) takes over the training mine as an exhibition mine.
    2019 listed as a historical monument.
    17-MAR-2022 RAG transfers former training mine to the Velsen Adventure Mine Association.



    The Erlebnisbergwerk Velsen (experience mine Velsen) is a real coal mine, but the mining operations ended long ago. Nevertheless, the administration tries to show a modern working coal mining operation instead of just showing the remains of former days. The tour starts with a ride on the mine train. Then the visitors walk through the Streb (a miners term for the place where coal is mined). They see all necessary machines in action, like coal mining machines, shields, grinders, conveyors and the pumping station. All this machinery works and the visitor gets a good impression how work underground feels like.

    The tour takes place in the former Ausbildungsbergwerk Velsen (training gallery). This means that it is a real mine, but one that was used for training miners. The machines represent all the techniques that were used in mining and are all in working order. The mine is accessible at ground level, so it is also suitable for the physically disabled. In addition, the mine can be virtually visited via Google, and the operators are proud that they were the first mine with this feature.

    Originally, the Velsen mine was a normal coal mine. During the Second World War, the ground-level gallery was used as an air-raid shelter for the staff of the Velsen mine. After the war it was used as a training mine and at the same time guided tours were given to people interested in mining. This seems to have fallen asleep at some point, but was resumed in 2000 by RAG Bildung. However, this department was abolished and TÜV Nord, as the successor, let the guided tours fall asleep again. The training mine was operated by RAG and was to be closed in 2012. RAG planned to backfill the gallery, which is quite common in mining and serves safety. But resentment quickly arose among the population about this; the mine had obviously been visited by many and was remembered fondly. After a fierce battle in the media and political interference, RAG agreed to lease the Velsen mine to the non-profit association Verein Erlebnisbergwerk Velsen for a symbolic euro. Finally, in 2022, the mine was even transferred to the association, which is now the owner.

    A special highlight is the Fördermaschine Gustav II Nord (Gustav II Nord winding engine), a steam engine located in the winding engine house next to the shaft. Gustav Shaft II is double-trunked, which means that there were two independent hoists. Accordingly, the winding engine house is also a double building with two independent steam engines. The Gustav II (North) steam engine from 1916 is in excellent condition and is the oldest preserved winding engine of the Saar mining area. Unfortunately, the engine for the south trunk was scrapped. The steam winding engine is looked after by the Berg- und Hüttenleute Warndt e.V. and is not part of the adventure mine, but it is located in the immediate vicinity.