Salzhemmendorf, Ortsteil Osterwald.
A7 (E45) exit Hildesheim, B1 west, in Oldendorf turn right to Osterwald.
(52° 6'51.36"N, 9°37'33.42"E)
MAR to OCT Wed 15-18, Sun 13:15, 14:30 (with mine tour).
Mine: MAR to OCT Sun 13:15, 14:30.
Mine with museum:
Adults EUR 4, Children EUR 2.
Museum: Adults EUR 2, Children EUR 1.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Address:||Besucherbergwerk Hüttenstollen, Steigerbrink 25, 31020 Salzhemmendorf, Tel: +49-5153-964846, Fax: +49-5153-964846.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1584||Herzog Julius von Braunschweig starts mining for coal in the Osterwald.|
|1586||first written mentioned.|
|1685||leased to the Hemmendorfer Salzwerk.|
|1701||Osterwalder Glashütte founded.|
|1746||sart of the Wasserstollen (adit).|
|1810||new coal discovered at the Hohen-Warte.|
|1842||five new tunnels, 300 miners work at Osterwald.|
|1866||owned by the Prussians, Tiefbauschacht started.|
|1899||sold to the Fabrik für Feuer- und Säurefeste Produkte at Vassendar am Rhein.|
|1901||bankruptcy, mine taken over by Siemens. Numer of miners increases from 150 to 175.|
|1945||new coal layer discovered at Plattenbrink.|
The coal mined at Osterwald is called Wealdenkohle (Wealden coal), as it was formed during the Wealden, the lower Cretaceous. Coal from this era is found all over northern Germany, the center is in the Weser-Ems area. The coal is the remains of huge basin with moor and a tropic to subtropic forest of cypress like trees, ginkos, conifers, ferns and palm trees. This bog was now and then covered by sand, produced by rivers from the area of Osnabrück. The covered peat was the transformed into coal by incoaling.
The coal at Osterwald was found in five recoverable seams, which were between 35 cm and 70 cm thick. The coal was removed manually, while the surrounding rocks were left untouched, so it was mined lying on the floor. Only the access tunnels had normal height, which allowed easy acces and the transport of the coal in miners trains.
Benath the show mine, only a few steps from the adit mouth exists a small museum. It shows the Gezähe, the tools of the miners. They are completed by the machinery outside. There is also a small exhibition about the history of the small village Osterwald.