Entrance to museum: Tor 2, Osnabrücker Straße, Ibbenbüren.
Parking opposite Osnabrücker Straße 176.
MAY to SEP 2nd and 4th Sat per Month 14-16:30.
MAR 2nd Sun 10-17.
NOV 2nd Sun 10-17.
|Incandescent Electric Light System
Christian Israel, Tel: +49-5451-78110.
Jürgen Thiele, Tel: +49-5451-/88678.
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|The Ibbenbüren mine was created by the merger of the Glücksburg mine with the Schafberg mine.
|Start of construction work on the Von-der-Heydt-Schacht.
|von Oeynhausenschacht 1 sunk.
|due to progressive mining Theodorschacht 2.5 km east sunk.
|water intrusion at a depth of 150 m, mine is sinking within a few weeks.
|after complete overhaul of the surface systems start of pump out.
|Punp out completed.
|first coal mined from Glücksburg seam.
|Coal scrubbing and the briquette factory go into operation.
|Construction of a colliery power plant.
|1 November 1924
|Pits from Prussian state ownership transferred to Preußag, extensive modernization steps.
|Crossing of the von Oeynhausenschacht 3.
|first Kohlenhobel (coal planer) in the world built in the workshop of the Oeynhausen shaft and successfully tested underground.
|24 March 1942
|Kohlenhobel (coal planer) patent pending in Berlin.
|von Oeynhausen shaft 3 sunken to the final depth of 832 m (-672 m NN).
|Construction of the Nordschacht (north shaft).
|Nordschacht deepened to 1,417.5 m.
|Nordschacht brought to final depth of 1.545 m.
|taken over by Deutsche Steinkohle AG of the RAG-Konzern and operated by DSK Anthrazit Ibbenbüren GmbH.
|End of subsidies and decommissioning decided for 2018.
The Mine Ibbenbüren of the RAG Anthrazit Ibbenbüren GmbH was the penultimate German hard coal mine. It was closed in August 2018, only half a year before the last one, Prosper-Haniel colliery, was closed. Anthracite coal was mined here, a very high-grade coal which consists almost exclusively of carbon due to its high degree of coalification. It was used for heating and in industry. In recent years, mining has been just under 2 million tons per year. Most of the coal was burned in the nearby Ibbenbüren power station and several other power stations. About 400,000 tons per year were sold on the non-subsidized market for coal heating, the so-called Hausbrand (home burning). It was also very good at filtering water. It was used in waterworks, micro-installations and special filters for development aid. After a special treatment it effectively removed chlorine, trihalomethane and other oxidizable substances from the water.
A large number of the mining facilities are still preserved. Some of the winding towers are listed. The colliery railway from the harbour to Esch station, which used to transport the coal, passed into the possession of the Ibbenbüren company Bergschneider, which had a right of first refusal. It operates the railway to supply the RWE power station Ibbenbühren with coal from the port.
The Mining Museum Ibbenbüren is located on the premises of RAG Anthrazit Ibbenbüren GmbH, the Oeynhausen Colliery in Osnabrücker Straße in Ibbenbüren. It is located in the turbine hall of the former 100 MW power plant on the colliery grounds. It shows a collection of various remains of mining activity from 500 years of mining history. Among them are tools, equipment and lights as well as the machines used for coal mining. A steam-driven reel is still ready for operation and is put into operation on special occasions. Coal planes and shield supports can be seen from the beginning to the modern, mechanical coal mining. One of the original three turbine generator plants has also been preserved and is now an exhibit in its own right. In addition, there is a large collection of fossils and minerals from the mine. The highlight of the collection is the replica of a dinosaur found in Ibbenbüren Kupferschiefer (copper slate).
Early on, coal was extracted from the earth's surface by near-surface excavations around Ibbenbühren. The Ibbenbüren mine was formed in 1846 by merging the Glücksburg mine with the Schafberg mine. In the course of its operation, mining history was written several times, because bleeding edge technology was developed and used here again and again. A first big step was the use of steam engines in mining. The Ibbenbürener Dampfhaspel (steam powered winch) and the steam hoisting machine from the neighbouring Schacht I bear witness to this period. The coal plough was the central mining machine in the Ibbenbüren mining industry. It was invented around 1950 by a miner from Ibbenbüren. A model of the prototype in original size conveys the decisive functional principle of the planing process. The further developments were subsequently used for coal mining worldwide. The mine was also one of the deepest mines in Germany, at the end the coal was mined between 1,300 m and 1,500 m below surface,