|Location:||Freudenstadt, Straßburger Straße 57, hinter dem Facharztzentrum.|
MAY to OCT Sat, Sun, Hol 14-17.
Stufe 1: Adults EUR 1,50.
Stufe 2: Adults EUR 2.
Stufe 3: Adults EUR 3.
Luftschutzkeller FDS: Adults EUR 2,50.
|Classification:||Silver Mine baryte|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
Stufe 1: D=30 min.
Stufe 2: D=45 min, MinAge=10.
Stufe 3: D=60 min, MinAge=12.
Luftschutkeller FDS: D=30 min.
|Address:||Freudenstadt Tourismus, Marktplatz 64, 72250 Freudenstadt, Tel: +49-7441-864-730, Fax: +49-7441-864-777. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1478||first written mention of mining in the area.|
|1999||show mine opened to the public.|
In the Tertiary a graben formed in the area of Freudenstadt. Along the sides of this graben structure clefts formed and were filled with minerals by hydrothermal processes. Mainly quartz and baryte were deposited. But the dykes also contain amounts of silver, which was profitable because of its high value.
The Besucherbergwerk "Heilige Drei Könige" (show mine Three Kings) was reopened by the honorary work of many peoples interested in the local mining history. It was opened to the public on the 400 years celebration of the city Freudenstadt. The mine offers an introduction into the history and geology of the Black Forest mining. The city prospered because of the mining for some time. But wars, plague, and urban fires destroyed the city several times.
The show mine was first opened under the name Friedrichs Fundgrube, but is also called Besucherbergwerk Freudenstadt. But it seems it has been renamed to Heilige Drei Könige. There was actually a mine named Dreikönigsfundgrube which is thought to have been on the nearby Schöllkopf.
The mining area at Freudenstadt is located along the Christophstal to the Kienberg. There is a huge amount of old quarries and abandoned mines named "Neues Glück", Straßburgerin", "Haus Württemberg" and "Christophsstollen". If you are walking in the area you can see the remains in the forests, pile heaps, shafts, and mine entrances. Old mines are extremely dangerous so we suggest to keep away of old mine entrances.
The show mine is rather cold, with only 6 °C, so we recommend warm clothes and sturdy boots. The tours include several ladders, which is rather funny for children but not suitable for people who are not able to climb ladders. Helmets are provided.
The show mine offers four different tours. The easiest one ist called Stufe 1 and includes only the 35 m long entrance tunnel. This tour is horizontal and suitable for all ages. There is an exhibition showing mining tools and minerals. The upper end of the shaft can be seen with the upper end of the wooden winch. There is also a baryte dyke with silver ore, malachite, iron ore and manganese ore. There tour Stufe 2 continues from here down a 6 m deep shaft on an iron ladder. This level is called winch chamber. The tour Stufe 3 is continuing down another shaft 25 m to the next level which is called second winch chamber. Here the date 1556 is chiseled into the rock.
The fourth tour is nearby, showing the Luftschutzkeller Freudenstadt (air raid shelter Freudenstadt). This former beer and wine cellar was confiscated by the Reichsluftschutzbund during World War II and transformed into an air raid shelter. The cellar has 497 m² and was big enough for 500 people.