All year Tue-Sun 10-17, last tour 16.
Mine: Adults EUR 3.50, Children (6-18) EUR 2, School Pupils EUR 2, Apprentices EUR 2, Students EUR 2, Disabled EUR 2.
Museum: Adults EUR 2.50, Children (6-18) EUR 1.50, School Pupils EUR 1.50, Apprentices EUR 1.50, Students EUR 1.50, Disabled EUR 1.50.
Museum and Mine: Adults EUR 5.50, Children (6-18) EUR 3, School Pupils EUR 3, Apprentices EUR 3, Students EUR 3, Disabled EUR 3.
|Guided tours:||L=520 m, VR=24 m, V=50,000/a, D=60 m.|
Günter Meier (1997):
Das Besucherbergwerk Im Gößner in Annaberg-Buchholz,
Der Höhlenfreund, 29. Jg. 1997, Heft 1, 14-17
|Address:||Erzgebirgsmuseum Annaberg-Buchholz, Große Kirchgasse 16, 09456 Annaberg-Buchholz, Tel: +49-3733-23497, Fax: +49-3733-676112. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1496||city founded, mining started.|
|1498||mining first mentioned.|
|1500-1510||most successful deaced of the mining.|
|1992||start of show mine development.|
In the city limits of Annaberg some ore dykes reach the surface, the most valuable is called Silbermühlen Flache. This dyke crosses the whole historic town center of Annaberg diagonally from northwest to southeast. It is visible on a length of 840 m.
Because of the location of the ore dykes so close to the surface, it is most likely that mining started as soon as the first buildings were erected. However, first records of mining activities are found two years later.
The Erzgebirgsmuseum (Museum of the Ore Mountains) shows different aspects of the daily life of the miners and their families. Essential points are of course the mining customs. For example the tin plates and jugs, which were a result of mining. Coins that were minted here in Annaberg are also on display in the exhibition. An important aspect is the local production of lace. This was promoted by Barbara Uthmann (1514-1575) from Annaberg and allowed the women and children to contribute their share to the family income. The exhibition is rounded off by a small but fine collection of minerals, mainly with finds from the surrounding area.
The show mine Im Gößner is located below the museum and opens up the near-surface pits of the Annaberg silver mine over a length of 257 m. Differences in altitude are overcome with steel stairs. It offers insights into all aspects of medieval mining. Among other things several Anzuchtstrecken (adits), which are routes that were used to drain the pits, are shown. Access to the mine is via a new shaft in the courtyard of the Erzgebirgsmuseum. It leads 14 m deep down into the pits.
The name Im Gößner is derived from a man name Gößner, the son-in-law of the second mayor of Annaberg, who, according to old files, founded various pits. He gave his name to several pits. So there was also a Gößnerzeche, which probably corresponds to the Alter Kunstschacht in the visitor mine.
The term Abzucht comes from the miners' language. It denotes a shaft leading down which is no longer needed and is therefore used as a "waste chute". Such a thing is relatively practical in mining, because it means that waste rock does not have to be transported upwards, which saves a lot of work, and in addition, galleries and shafts are filled up again, thus reducing the danger of collapse. Unfortunately, these shafts were later used in the same way by the houses above. So many things were simply thrown in, which should not be disposed of in this way. Heavy metals or even pathogens from animal carcasses could thus get into the surrounding springs.