|Location:||Žlutý kopec, 15 Tvrdého, Brno. (49.196214, 16.590554)|
Open days are published monthly.
See website for exact dates and times and online booking.
Adults CZK 200, Seniors CZK 150, Students CZK 150.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Dimension:||L=45 m, W=45 m, D=7 m.|
Underground reservoirs in Žlutý kopec, Tvrdého, 60200 Brno, Tel +420 513 039 035.
TIC BRNO (Brno Tourist Information Centre), p.o., Radnická 365/2, 602 00 Brno
Filmová kancelář Brno (Brno Film Office), Ivana Košuličová, Tel: +420-773-771-556. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1853||old water system expanded.|
|1863||construction of a new water supply system announced.|
|1869||from four bids the design of London architect Thomas Docwry was accepted.|
|1869||begin of construction.|
|1997||reservoirs closed and disconnected.|
|2019||declared a cultural monument.|
The Vodojemy Brno (Underground Water Reservoir Brno) or Vodojemy na Žlutý kopec (Reservoirs on Yellow Hill) is a 19th century water reservoir which was constructed to provide drinking water to the growing city Brünn. It was constructed in the 19th century as a series of vaulted passages from bricks. The principle is used since Roman times and is still in use today: water is pumped into an elevated reservoir from which it flows by gravity into the homes.
Four reservoirs can be found on a hill close to the city center. The oldest reservoir in the west has nine parallel passages which are connected by a drainage channel and six large arched overflow openings. The floor is today replaced by concrete, but the vaults and walls are still the original high-quality fired bricks. Its size is 45 m x 45 m and is about 7 m deep. The design of London architect Thomas Docwry used only bricks, no steel, wood, or concrete was used. As a result it was necessary to use different types of vaulting which resulted in a labyrinthine structure.
The water was diverted from the Svratka River above the weir in Kamenný Mlýn. Then it was purified by three biological filters over a total area of 2940 m². It was then pumped into two reservoirs, the lower one on Žlutý Kopec and the higher one on the Špilberk.
At the begin of the 20th century, two more concrete tanks with a total volume of over 20,000 cubic meters were added. The tanks were in use until 1997, when they were replaced by a new system. They were disconnected from the water network and have not been used since.
The abandoned water tanks are now owned by the TIC BRNO (Brno Tourist Information Centre), which plans to open all four reservoirs to the public. The oldest and most impressive is currently open as a filming location and for guided tours. The tours are offered on certain dates which change continually, but they are published on the website monthly for the next month. You must book tickets online from the website, there is no ticket office or other infrastructure on site. Alternatively you can buy tickets at the tourist office. The visitors must be 18 years old and must sign a waiver.