Hrad Špilberk, Špilberk 210/1, Brno.
Tickets sold at the casemates ticket office.
APR to SEP daily 9:15, 11, 13, 15.
OCT to MAR Tue-Sun 9:15, 11, 13, 15.
Adults CZK 90, Children (7-14) CZK 50, Children (2-6) 10. Students CZK 50, Seniors CZK 50, Disabled CZK 50, Family (2+2) 185.
Groups (10+): Adults CZK 65, School Pupils CZK 35.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||self guided|
|Address:||Brno City Museum, Špilberk 210/1, 662 24 Brno, Tel: +420-542-123-614. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1870-71||first cistern built.|
|1900||second cistern built.|
|2017||begin of reconstruction.|
|JUN-2020||cistern opened to the public.|
The Chrám kamene (Temple of Stone) is the oldest cistern in Brno, located underneath the Hrad Špilberk (Špilberk Castle). It was built on the highest hill overlooking the city, but there was the problem of water supply. The solution were huge cisterns in which the rain water from the roofs was collected.
The two huge cisterns which were opened to the public are actually rather young. They were built at the end of the 19th century as a part of the new water supply system of the town. The water was diverted from the Svratka River above the weir in Kamenný Mlýn. Then it was purified by three biological filters over a total area of 2940 m². It was then pumped into two reservoirs, the lower one on Žlutý Kopec and the higher one on the Špilberk. They were not used for a long time, in the 1920s the castle was connected to the city water supply and they were abandoned. After a century of neglect the csterns were renovated and opened to the public.
The cisterns offer a huge space, which is used by the Brno City Museum to house its Lapidárium Muzea (Lapidarium). A valuable collection of statues, tombstones, and stone ornaments from defunct Brno buildings are on display. Here are the remains of the vanished 14th century Gothic Royal Chapel, which was demolished for the extension of Dominican Square. The sculpture consul by Anton Pilgram was once part of the Jewish Gate. The oldest artifact is the tomb of Rector Albert of Krosno from 1399. It was removed from the church of St. Nicholas which once stood at Freedom Square.