At the foot of Mt. Jiguan.
3km west of Luanchuan.
All year daily 8:30-17:30.
Adults CNY 80, Children (<1.4m) free.
|Dimension:||L=5,600m, VR=138m, T=18°C.|
|Address:||Jiguandong, Tel: +86-379-6890998, Fax: +86-379-6890271. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|18th cty||cave discovered.|
|AUG-1992||County Party Committee and the County Government decided to develop the Cockscomb Cave.|
|10-APR-1993||opened to the public.|
|09-JAN-2012||awarded the title of National 5A Tourist Scenic Spot by China National Tourism Administration.|
Jiguandong was named after mount Jiguan (1,021m asl) where it is located. It is also known as Cockscomb Limestone Cave. The cave was discovered during the reign of Emperor Qianlong (1736-1796) in the Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). It is mentioned in the Luanchuan County Chronicle. The description tells that it has four chambers, and various formations. We are actually not sure if the description of snakes and bats means there are actually such animals or if this are descriptions of speleothems. Chinese texts tend to babble about fantastic interpretations instead of real facts.
The development of this cave was decided in AUG-1992 by the county government. They invested 1.8 million yuan to build entrance buildings, opening a new entrance and exit, building the trail in the cave and installing electric light. In APR-1993 the cave was opened to the public. In 2000, after seven years, 681,000 tourists had visited the cave which equals a revenue of 10.49 million yuan and profits and taxes of 500,000 yuan. This makes the cave one of the top ten tourist attractions in Henan Province.
The cave is entered through an artificial entrance tunnel which is 30m long. The first chamber named Yuzhu Tan has stalactites, stalagmites and a cave lake. On the left side is the natural entrance, which has a diameter of less than a meter. That's the reason why the artificial entrance was necessary. On the left side is a vertical shaft which goes up 38m to the surface. After the second chamber a descend of 30m leads to the third chamber named Duanxiong Palace. This is said to be the most beautiful part of the cave. The natural connection to the next chamber is a sump with clay and a diameter of one meter. The artificial tunnel which connects them now is named Jade Snail. On the other end of this tunnel the cave river is reached. The limestone rich karst water produces a roaring sound. On the first iron staircase you can see the snowflake stones on the left, which are covered by white calcite crystals. There are also bulbous calcites or grape-shaped stone flowers which are said to emit fluorescence.
After many more speleothems with fancy names there is a section where small stalagmites on the floor are called stumbling blocks. We are not sure why they were integrated in the trail, an elevated trail might have been a better solution. We guess the reason is to make the tour a little more interesting.
The cave was extended by the Jiguandong Alpine Peony Garden in November 2005. It seems toi be quite popular and there is a one week festival in May called the golden week. We guess that's the time when the flowers bloom.