|Open:||All year daily around the clock. |
|Light:||Floodlit at night.|
|Address:||The Lady Nelson Visitor and Discovery Centre, Jubilee Highway East (P O Box 56), Mount Gambier SA 5290. Tel: +61-8-8724-9750, FreeCall: +61-1800-087-187, Fax: +61-8-8723-2833.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1886||beautified by James Umpherston.|
|1887||opened to the public.|
Umpherston Cave or Umpherston Sinkhole was formed by the collapse of a chamber of the big cave system below Mount Gambier. It was named after James Umpherston who started to cultivate it and lived on a property nearby. He arrived in 1860, and was a foundation member of the Show Society.
The depression is fertile, with more topsoil and more moisture than outside, which makes it an ideal place for a garden. The area is well developed, with floodlight in the night, terraced gardens, barbecue, toilets and picnic grounds. A display on the steps down into the sinkhole explains the history of the place. Another display in the gardens outside the sinkhole explains the logging history of the area, with a Mack logging truck and an old bull-dozer on display.
Umpherston Sinkhole is very popular at dusk, when possums come out to be hand fed.