Silberkarklamm


Useful Information

Location: From Ramsau L725 4.7 km east, turn left at Lodenwalker. Signposted.
(47.435031, 13.717279)
Open: Mid-MAY to 26-OCT daily .
[2021]
Fee: Adults EUR 3.50, Children EUR .
[2021]
Classification: GorgeGorge
Light: n/a
Dimension:
Guided tours: self guided. Klamm - Silberkarhütte and back: D=75 min.
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: no
Bibliography:
Address: Silberkarklamm
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

1928 wooden trail built by the owner Matthias Erlbacher.
1938 flood and landslide destroys the gorge trail and the Lodenwalke below.
1950 Silberkarhütte extended and converted into a refuge.
1979 avalanche destroys the trail.
1998 rockfall destroys the upper part of the gorge.
1999 avalanche damages Silberkarhütte.
2005 avalanche destroys the trail.
2006 via ferrata Hias built by Hans Prugger for the TVB Ramsau.
JUL-2008 via ferrata Siega built and opened.
2014 via ferrata Rosina built by Hans Prugger for the TVB Ramsau.

Description

The Silberkarklamm is located on the southern side of the Dachstein massif. It is the access to the Silberkarhütte (Silberkar lodge) and to three via ferrata, Hias, Siega, and Rosalie. As a result it is quite popular and may be even crowded during sunny days in mid summer. The tour starts at the parking lot, on a single lane gravel road to the gorge. The gorge itself is quite exceptional, as it has vertical walls on both sides, but they are at least 10 m apart. It looks like a landslide opened the wide crack which was then used by the river. This gorge is not the result of the erosion by the river.

The trail through the gorge is an elevated wooden trail on the left side. At the upper end there is a rope bridge to the other side. The trail was built by Matthias Erlbacher, vulgo Bacher, in 1928. He was the owner of the area, and he intended to earn some money from the rich tourists. The via ferrata Hias was named after him, it is the local short form of Matt-hias. The entrance fee was 2 Kreuzer in the early days. At this time the Alm was also transformed into a lodge.

The Silberkar is a Alm (high pasture), the Silberkarhütte (Silberkar lodge) was once the farm from which the Alm was operated. Due to the tourism and the changes in local farming itw was transformed into a restaurant for mountaineers. It is located 200 m higher than the parking lot, so this is actually a rather harmless tour suitable for beginners, families with small children, or seniors. It is recommended to walk to the lodge, have a lunch, and then return through the gorge.

The Silberkarklamm was for 10 years the site of the Klammheimliche Begegnung, an art and culture festival. Part of the program was the illumination of the gorge at night. There was an exhibitions of sculptures and objects by national and international artists, concerts, cabaret, children's programmes, and a short film festival.