|Location:||Ramsbeck, near Bestwig.|
02-JAN to 03-DEC Tue-Sun, Hol 9-17, first tour 11:30, last tour 16.
05-DEC to 01-JAN undeground tour closed, museum open.
Adults EUR 7.50, Children (4-15) EUR 5, Children (0-3) frei, Disabled EUR 5.
Groups (20+): Adults EUR 7, Children (4-15) EUR 4.50.
Museum only: Adults EUR 4, Children (4-15) EUR 2, Children (0-3) frei, Disabled EUR 2.
|Classification:||Tin Mine Zinc Mine Silver Mine|
|Guided tours:||L=700m + 1,500m mine train, D=2h, St=40.|
Erzbergwerk Ramsbeck, Glück-Auf-Straße 3, D-59909 Bestwig-Ramsbeck, Tel: +49-2905-250.
Info: Verkehrsamt der Gemeinde Bestwig, Rathausplatz 1, 59909 Bestwig, Tel: +49-2904-987-166, Fax: +49-2904-987-274. E-mail:
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.|
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|Last update:||$Date: 2015/08/30 21:53:22 $|
|1500 B.C.||first mining activities during the Broze Age.|
|1518||first written account of mining at Ramsbeck.|
|1559||the Bergfreiheit was awarded, which included various rights and exemption from taxation.|
|1759||a coin called des Ramsbecker Ausbeutetalers is minted for the first time.|
|1815||all mines are united to form the Ramsbecker Gewerkschaft.|
|1850||bought by the Rheinisch-Westfälischer Bergwerkverein.|
|1854||bought by the Stollberger Gesellschaft.|
|1855||insolvency of the Stollberger Gesellschaft.|
|1923||mining stopped because of inflation and worldwide economic crisis.|
|1945||mining stopped after World War II.|
|1960||biggest underground mining machine built.|
|1971||rail less techology introduced.|
|31-JAN-1974||final closure of mine.|
|27-AUG-1974||opening of mining museum.|
|1993||special tours to the Ramsbecker Dichterz.|
Mining at Ramsbeck has a long history with many ups and downs. The first mining activities in the area happened supposedly during the Bronce Age about 1500 BC. But the first written account about mining in the area is from 1518. Although the mines have been sold several times and despite cases of insolvency, the mines were closed only twice, once betweem the World Wars because of inflation and worldwide economic crisis, and a second time after World War II. The mine worked until the mid 1970s and was continually modernized. The last changes were the introduction of huge underground mining machinery and not rail bound machines. When the mine was finally closed in 1974, it was immediately converted into a show mine. The saved some jobs and mining machinery.
During the operation of the mine in Ramsbeck, 13.5 million tons of raw ore were mined. This raw ore was concentrated to 1.5 million tons of lead/zinc ore, which was smelted to 800,000 tons of metal. At the beginning of the 1970s the mining operation was completely mechanized and rationalized. The remaining 450 employees mined 500,000 to 600,000 tons of raw ore per year, which contained about 20,000 tons of metal.
The visit in Ramsbeck starts with the Erzbergbaumuseum (ore mining museum), which is located in the Lohnhalle. The museum shows numerous machines and a huge mineral collection. The visitor gets a good overview of the local mining history. The zentral display is a audio-visual slide show.
The show mine is entered, equipped with helmet and protective suits, which are procided. The original mine train brings the visitors 1,500m into the mountain, where the original mine is explored by foot. This tour does not include a visit to the Ramsbecker Dichterz, a special local ore type, which is shown only on special tours after appointment.
|Main Index | Germany | Sauerland|