Between Chemnitz and Dresden. A4 exit Siebenlehn, B101 to Freiberg.
Schacht Reiche Zeche:
Erlebnisführung: all year Mon-Fri 11, Sat, Hol 11, 14, Sun 14.
Bergwerksführung: all year Mon-Fri 14, Sat, Sun, Hol 15.
Erlebnislehrpfad: all year Mon-Fri 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, Sat, Sun 11-16 hourly, Hol 14, 15, 16.
Schacht Reiche Zeche (museum): All year Mon-Fri 7:30-15:30
Schacht Alte Elisabeth: MAI to SEP Mon-Fri 13, Sat 10, 14, Sun 11.
Thurmhofschacht: after appointment
Schacht Reiche Zeche:
Erlebnisführung: Adults EUR 12,50, School Pupils EUR 10, Apprentices EUR 10, Students EUR 10, Children (0-11) not allowed.
Bergwerksführung: Short tour: Adults EUR 10, School Pupils EUR 7.50, Apprentices EUR 7.50, Students EUR 7.50, Children (0-5) not allowed.
Erlebnislehrpfad: Adults EUR 7.50, School Pupils EUR 5, Apprentices EUR 5, Students EUR 5, Children (0-5) not allowed.
Extreme tour: Adults EUR 5 pro Stunde.
Schacht Reiche Zeche (museum): Adults EUR 2,50, School Pupils EUR 1,50, Apprentices EUR 1,50, Students EUR 1,50.
Schacht Alte Elisabeth: Adults EUR 3, School Pupils EUR 2, Apprentices EUR 2, Students EUR 2.
Thurmhofschacht: Adults EUR 2, School Pupils EUR 1,50, Apprentices EUR 1,50, Students EUR 1,50.
Children must be at least 12 years for a visit of the mine.
|Classification:||Polymetallic ore: silver, lead, arsenic, zinc, copper, nickel, cobalt.|
Schacht Reiche Zeche:
Erlebnislehrpfad: D=45min, self guided.
Schacht Reiche Zeche (Museum): self guided.
Schacht Alte Elisabeth: D=1h.
Matthias Arnold (1997):
Die "Reiche Zeche" zu Freiberg,
Der Höhlenforscher, 29. Jg 1997, S. 39-40.
|Address:||Sächsisches Besucherbergwerk "Himmelfahrt Fundgrube Freiberg", Fuchsmühlenweg 9, 09599 Freiberg/Sachsen, Tel: +49-3731-394571, Fax: +49-3731-394572|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1168||silver discovered in the Münzbachtal, begin of mining.|
|1170||Kaiser Friedrich Barbarossa gives Markgraf Otto the Bergregal (right to mine).|
|1233||Freiberger Bergrecht (miners law) first written mention.|
|~1300||creation of adits.|
|1338||Meißner Groschen coined, begin of the Freiberger Münztradition.|
|1500||Ulrich Rühlein von Calw, mayor and doctor of Freiberg, publishes the German mning related book named "Ein nützlich Bergbüchlein".|
|1535||mining with fire is forbidden after several deadly accidents because of the smoke.|
|1643||Bohren und Schießen (underground blasting) introduced by Oberbergmeister Martin Weigl.|
|1765||Bergakademie Freiberg founded.|
|~1840||Prof. Julius Weisbach develops the Theodolit (theodolite) for surveying mines.|
|1919||Bergakademie gets the pits "Reiche Zeche" and "Alte Elisabeth" as training mines.|
|1937||mines reopened for the mining of lead, zinc and copper.|
|1981||Reiche Zeche restored.|
|1993||surface areal "Reiche Zeche" again given to the TU Bergakademie Freiberg.|
The mining in this area was based on polymetallic ores, dykes filled with hydrothermal ores of multiple metals. The most important metal was of course silver, the ore contained a relatively high amount of silver. The silver was used to mint money.
The show mine at Freiberg is named Sächsisches Besucherbergwerk "Himmelfahrt Fundgrube Freiberg". It is not a single mine, but a mine field called Himmelfahrt. The whole mining complex is estimated to have 100km of adits. Only 14km on four levels and up to 230m deep are explored.
During the last mining period from 1950 to 1969 the shaft Reiche Zeche was used to lift the ores and the shaft Alte Elisabeth was used for ventilation. The surface around Alte Elisabeth shows a large complex of mining buildings from the 18th century.
The Reiche Zeche (rich pit) is the only accesible remnant of the famous mining history of Freiberg. Today Freiberg is still the place of a mining university, the Bergakademie Freiberg. The mine is an experimental mine for its students. Practical education for students of mining, surveying, geophysics, geology, mineralogy and other is made here.
There are several routes through the mine. One tour shows the mining of the 19th and 20th century at a depth of 150 meters. Another tour shows the mining of the 14th to 16th century. The passages in this part were mined mainly by hand.
On the surface at the Reiche Zeche is a mining museum with machinery, tools, and an impressive mineral collection. It is visited self guided. One tour, which is only a surface tour, goes to the Schachtanlage Alte Elisabeth nearby. This was once the pit used for ventilation in the mine. And finally there is the Thurmhofschacht, with its main sight, a wooden waterwheel in a huge chamber underground.