|Location:||North edge of Calumet along State Highway 169.|
Visitor Center and Clubhouse museum: all year daily 9-17.
Tours: Memorial Weekend to Labor Day Fri-Sun. Mine tour: 10. Boat tour: 15. Fossil tour: 12:30.
|Fee:||Adults USD 9, Children (5-12) USD 6, Children (0-5) free. |
|Classification:||Iron Mine opencast mine|
|Guided tours:||Mine tour: D=1.5 h. Boat tour: D=1.5 h. Fossil tour: D=1.5 h.|
|Address:||Hill Annex Mine, P.O. Box 376, Calumet, Minnesota 55716, Tel: +1-218-247-7215.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1892||land first leased for mineral exploration.|
|1978||mine closed, bought by the IRRRB.|
|1988||made a State Park by the Minnesota Legislature.|
The iron ore is found in two different layers, an iron-bearing metamorphic formation and a metamorphosed sedimentary rock formation. This formations are very old, about 2.7 Billion years, from the Precambrium or Archean era. The high grade ore was easy to melt and thus very valuable in former times.
Hill Annex Mine produced 63 million tons of iron ore during 65 years of mining. At first horses provided the power, later steam and then electrical power replaced the horses. So the mine shows a wide range of mining history.
After the mine was closed, the place was sold to the Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board (IRRRB) for $1. The IRRRB developed the site and gave tours, they converted the former clubhouse into a visitor center and museum. The open pit mine has become a lake frequented by many animals.