|Location:||Jánska dolina, Low Tatras National Park. South of Liptovský Ján. (49.042985, 19.678079)|
Termal Raj Spa:
JUN Tue-Sun 9-18:30.
JUL to AUG Tue-Sun 9-19.
SEP Tue-Sun 9-18:30.
Termal Raj Spa:
Adults EUR 10, Children (0-14) EUR 8, Students EUR 8, Seniors (60+) 8, Family (2+1) EUR 25, Family (2+2) EUR 32, Family (2+3) EUR 39.
Reduced prices after 14:00.
|Address:||Spa Liptovský Ján, 032 03 Liptovský Ján, Tel: +421-44-5263-477, Fax: +421-44-5208-903. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1549||described in the book On the Healing Springs of Hungary by the mineralogist Juraj Werner.|
|16th cty||use of the spring by locals mentioned.|
|1927||spa built by Jozef Szentiványi.|
|1928||spa opened to the public.|
|1937||bancruptcy and taken over by state.|
The Termálny Prameň Kaďa (Kada Thermal springs) are located at the southern end of Liptovský Ján. The karst spring is quite typical, with limestone rich water which deposits tarvertine around the spring and forms a plateau. But at a closer look there are several springs and they are quite exceptional. The springs have a temperature between 14.8 °C and 29.4 °C, which is above the normal temperature of groundwater which is around 6 °C. Also the carbonization differs between very weakly to strongly carbonated, and there are even weakly mineralized hydrogen sulfide waters.
Originally there were 14 springs, which were used by the locals at least since the 16th century. But they were known even longer, In 1549, the mineralogist Juraj Werner described them in his book On the Healing Springs of Hungary. He was cited by Matej Bel in his book Notitia hungariae novae historico-geographica (*1735-✝1742), and also by geologist Dionýz Štúr. Prof. Martin Szentiványi cited him in On the marvelous forces and properties of water.
If you believe in such a thing, the springs are said to cure metabolic disorders, rheumatic, female, gastric and intestinal diseases, gallbladder and liver diseases, blood pressure, phosphaturia, allergic diseases and conditions of thrombophlebitis and polio. Thats a bit much, and it is definitely on the esoteric side of medicine. But the springs were rather popular at the begin of the 20th century, first among Hungarian nobility, and since 1920 among foreign visitors too. Guests lived in local mansions and manors and enjoyed walks through beautiful unspoilt nature. Regular baths in the water had a beneficial effect on joint pain, and after regular baths caused good sleep. The locals treated rheumatism with this water for centuries, and drank it for certain digestive disorders.
A spa was finally built by Jozef Szentiványi in 1927. He established the spa company Subalpína and transformed his manor house Szentiványi-Gemer into offices and a private apartment. He entrusted Ing. Kissa Faludi with the construction of the spa. After drilling a well 9 m deep into the travertine, mineral water with a temperature of 27-40 °C and with a flow rate of 360 l/min was discovered. It was mineralized with bicarbonate-sulphate and calcium-magnesium, strongly carbonic and hypotonic. They constructed a 500 m long pipe from pine trees which was laid 1 m deep in the ground. Quite impressive that this rather primitive pipeline served without failure from 1928 until 1975, when it was replaced by metal pipes and ceramic parts. The modern pipe was less durably and failed at some point. At the same time a 20 m long, 8 m wide and 1 m to 2.2 m deep pool was constructed. It had cabins for 40 persons, 15 separate for women and 15 for men, three showers and a children's pool. The area of the swimming pool was covered with sand and dubbed Štrand (beach). The spa building contained the hotel a restaurant and the a doctor's office. MUDr. Albert Škarvan was the first doctor which worked at the spa. The spa was opened on Peter and Paul 1928 and became popular under the name Svatojanske Teplice.
The spa fame decreased when the owner began to lose political power and the fascists rose. After bankruptcy in 1937 the spa was taken over by the state. A new spring was drilled in 1963 at a depth of 95 m and a temperature of 29.4 °C. The original outdoor pool was finally abandoned in 1979. But the spa exists until today under the name Termal Raj (Garden of Eden Thermal). It is open only during summer.
However, back to the natural springs. The artificial wells and the water pipeline are underground and not visible. But the springs were nevertheless massively changed by the development. There are stones along the pools and springs, which allow easy access, there are artificial canals for the water, and obviously the production is much lower today than it was before the spa was built. On the other hand the spring are still public property and it is possible to visit them freely and even take a bath in the warm water for free.