|Location:||At the northern end of Norberg. Leave Norberg towards Fagersta on RV68, at the city limits turn right into Klackbergsvägen, 1.4km to the mine. Signposted.|
|Open:||no restrictions |
|Classification:||Iron Mine Fire-setting|
|Address:||Norbergs Turistbyrå, Engelbrektsgatan 73, 73831 Norberg, Tel: +46-223-29130, Fax: +46-223-29133. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1303||place first mentioned as Stålberget (Steel Mountain).|
|1967||last mine closed.|
Klackbergs Gruvfält (Klackberg mining area) is a 14th century iron mining area. Beneath iron ore the dolomite was mined, it was used in the blast furnaces during the smelting process to trim the composition of the slag. It was also used to burn lime, several lime kilns can be found in the south-west part of the field. The oldest still existing mines are Springegruva and Solskensbergsgruva. Blå Grottan (Blue Cave) is not a natural cave, but also an abandoned mine. Here it is possible to understand the old technology of fire-setting. Wood was burnt in front of the rock face and then the hot rocks cooled with cold water. The rocks become brittle and can easily be removed using hammers and picks.
In the early centuries the ore was lifted to the surface with a wooden hoist and a double rope, first by hand, later powered by a horse winch. At the surface the ore was screened by hand, work which was done mostly by women and children. First this was done in the open air, later special screening buildings were erected.
In the mid 19th century the mining at Klackberg was modernized by the introduction of steam power. The next, smaller step was the introduction of electricity 40 years later. Those technologies large scale underground mining possible, drilling was now made with machines and much faster. This was the heyday of the mines, most of the buildings in this small open air museum are from the period between 1880 and 1920. There are two round head frame buildings made of slag bricks. They are quite unique, with their ornamentation and arched windows. The lifts, hoists and other equipment is partly preserved. The head frames were built on top of main shafts, which were several hundred meters deep. The Gröndalsgruvan (Gröndal mine), one of those round headframes, was refurbished and holds intact machinery, including the compressor equipment from 1907.