Мангуп-Кале

Mangup-Kale - Mangup Fortress


Useful Information

photography
Mangup-Kale, Crimea. Public Domain.
Location: Crimean Peninsula. 30km east of Sevastopol.
Open: no restrictions.
[2007]
Fee: free.
[2007]
Classification: SubterraneaCave House
Light: none.
Dimension:
Guided tours: A=475m asl.
Photography:
Accessibility:
Bibliography:
Address:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

490s settled by those Ostrogoths who refused to follow Theodoric the Great in his invasion of Italy.
8th cty Crimean Gothia was conquered by the Khazars.
960 first written mention of the name Mangup.
11th cty severly damagen by an earthquake.
~1300 Mangup becomes the centre of the Principality of Theodoro.
1475 Ottoman commander Gedik Ahmet Pasha besieges Mangup, after five months the city falls.
1774 fortress abandon the Turkish garrison.
1790s the last inhabitants, a small community of Karaims, abandon the site.

Description

photography
Mangup-Kale, Crimea. Public Domain.
photography
Mangup-Kale, Crimea. Public Domain.

The cave city Мангуп (Mangup) is the largest cave city on the Crimean peninsula. Located 200m above the surrounding valley it was called the City In The Sky. The remains include cave houses, fortifications, towers, and churches. The remains of a princely palace were once the home of Prince Feodor.

The city was erected by Ostrogoths or Goths, who settled here in the 5th cty and named the city Dory or Doros. The area was Christian and there is archaeologic evidence for the erection of basilicas. But in the 8th century the Crimea was conquered by the Khazars. An attempt of a revolt against Khazaria led by Bishop John of Gothia was unsuccessful. During the 9th century the name of the city changed to Mangup, with its first written mention in 960.