All year Tue-Fri 9-16, Sat, Sun 9-15.
Adults ROL 3, Children ROL 1.50, Students ROL 1.50.
|Classification:||Mining Museum Coal Mine|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||self guided, D=90 min.|
|Address:||Petroșani Mining Museum, Muzeul Mineritului, Str Nicolae Balcescu 2, 332025 Petroşani, Tel: +40-254-541-744.|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1840s||begin of coal mining in the area.|
|1961||museum founded in 1 Ion Creangă Street, which is now demolished and the location of the Central Park.|
|1966||museum moves to its current location.|
|18-OCT-1970||numismatic exhibition inaugurated.|
|1996-1998||massive renovation and extension.|
|2010||listed as Historical Monument no. 394, with HD-II code-MB-03409.|
|04-AUG-2011||50th anniversary celebrated.|
|01-JUN-2021||museum reopened after EU-financed renovation.|
The Muzeul Mineritului Petroșani (Petroșani Mining Museum) is a museum about the local coal mining. It was founded in the 1960s and several times extended and renovated. It is located in a building from 1920 which is a Historic Monument. It was built as the headquarters of the mining company S.A.R. Petroșani. Later they transformed it into housing for the miners.
When the museum was founded, the country was communist and part of the Warsaw Pact. So it was established based on the Decision of the People’s Council of Hunedoara Region of August 4, 1961. Its first exhibition was about the Cuban Revolution, not about mining.
The museum has original documents, artworks, photographs, mining equipment, and tools about the mining in the Jiu Valley. A part of the exhibition the large tools and machines are outside in the courtyard, but the other items are inside the museum. The geological exhibition has minerals and fossils of plants and animal found in the coal and the surrounding rock. Mining tools and machines show te technological development of the coal mining in the area. The social life of the miners is documented by photographs, documents, and numerous books. The museum also has a numismatic collection since 1970. Special exhibits are a trolley used to transport water barrels to the mine and the bellow rescue devices, the first device of this kind, both from 1900. Quite interesting are the various models of mines and mining equipment. And it has a collection of mining overalls, of skiing, traditional costumes, and historic cameras.
The museum regularly hosts exhibitions, some mining related, others not. The topics included the Cuban Revolution, plastic art, numismatics, mining engineering, tourism, photography, and vintage photos of the mining towns.