Strada Independenței 3, Brad 335200.
All year Wed-Sun 9-17.
Adults RON 25, Children (14-17) RON 20, Children (0-13) RON 10, Students RON 20, Seniors RON 20, Disabled RON 20.
|Classification:||Mining Museum Gold Mine|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||self guided|
|Address:||Muzeul Aurului din Brad, Strada Independenței 3, Brad 335200, Tel: +40-254-612-300. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1896||collection started by a German geologist collected several pieces he collected in the local mines.|
|1912||opened to the public.|
|2007-2012||museum closed for renovation.|
The Muzeul Aurului din Brad (Gold Museum) in the town Brad is said to have the largest collection of ores containing gold and silver in Europe. It also has the largest collection of semi-precious stones in the world. But the most spectacular exhibits are the 1,200 gold-bearing or gold-studded rocks of the exhibition. But there are almost 1,000 other interesting minerals, mining equipment, photographs, and documents about the local mining history.
This area is called Muntii Metaliferi (Ore Mountains), and most of the gold minerals are from this so-called Polygon of Gold. The reason is the fact that the mines are located in a specific are which is very rich in metal ores, especially gold. Mining started in ancient times, and was intensified during Roman times. The Romans are estimated to have mined 160 tons of gold and 300 tons of silver in this region.
The museum also has an archaeological exhibition with remains of human habitation of more than 5,000 years. And there is a mining exhibition showing 200 years old mining tools. There are also numerous wooden models of mining related machines. There is also a collection of minerals which have their type locale in Romania.
The Brad Mineralogical Collection is owned by the national company "MINVEST" SA from Deva. But it was started in the early 20th century. The first visitor register is from 1912, although it was never officially opened to the public. For a century the museum was always hosted by an institution, and was accessible during the working hours of this institution.