Zegarowe Skały (Clock Rocks), 1,2 km south of Smoleń.
Follow paved road south 950 m to parking lot.
Foot trail 15 min to the cliffs.
|Dimension:||L=42 m, A=470 m asl.|
|Guided tours:||self guided|
M Szelerewicz, A. Gorny (1986): Jaskinie Wyzyny Krakowsko-Wielunskiej PTTK "Kraj", Krakow-Warszawa
B. Muzolf (1998): Walory kulturowe Doliny Wodacej Przewodnik po Dolinie Wodacej, WOS, ZZJPK, Katowice-Dabrowa Gornicza
|Address:||Jaskinia Jasna koło Smolenia, Strzegowa, 32-340 Strzegowa|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1908||first map of the cave by Przesmycki.|
|1913||explored by Stanisław Lencewicz.|
|1933||explored by Regina Fleszarowa.|
|1949||cave mentioned by Sosnowski.|
|1951||first surveyed, described and map drawn by Kazimierz Kowalski.|
|NOV-1991||resurvey by A. Polonius and S. Kornaś.|
Jaskinia Jasna koło Smolenia (Jasna Cave near Smoleń) is a cave ruin or shelter, which consists of a singe chamber with entrances on both sides and several openings (karst fensters) in the ceiling. The cave is located inside a limestone hill named Zegarowe Skały (Clock Rocks) which actually forms a group of limestone cliffs. The different rocks or cliffs are partly named, especially those which are used for rock climbing. Several rocks contain small caves, not all of them have actual names. Two are simply called Schronisko w Zegarowych Skałach (Shelter in Clock Rocks) and numbered. Most caves were used by animals and by prehistoric humans.
The by-name koło Smolenia (near Smoleń) is actually important, as there are three Jasna Caves in the area. The cave is located in the easternmost rock facing to the north, towards the village. Some decades ago it was possible to see the rock and the cave entrance from Smoleń, but today the forest has grown and the trees hide the cave. The cave entrance is located 65 m above the plain.
The limestones are of Upper Jurassic age, from the Smolensk group. The cave is a single large chamber, the ceiling of is supported by a triangular rock pillar, which divides the interior of the cave into two parts. The southern corridor is about six meters high like the main entrance. The northern corridor is only 3 m high and leads to the 3 m high second entrance. The skylight is 6 m high in the ceiling of the cave. The number of openings is the reason why the whole cave is actually lit by daylight and no torch is required. It also has the same temperature as outside, as the air flows freely through the cave. In summer it may be shady on a hot day, but in winter it is as cold as outside and with temperatures below zero ice stalagmites and stalactites form in the cave.
It was a popular campsite in the prehistory as well as in recent decades. The cave is private property, but not protected as a natural monument. Nevertheless the nature protection law applies, so it is not allowed to stay overnight or make a fire in the cave or at its entrance. It seems it is done nevertheless. The cave is mentioned in various tourist guidebooks and and climbing books.
The cave is quite well explored and documented. The first map was alreaedy drawn in 1908. Kazimierz Kowalski did a very serious exploration in 1951, and he also discovered som flint flakes which are considered palaeolithic tools. An 1 m deep excavation in September 1998 revealed some animal bones and a few flint tools. While the cave was once obviously filled half way with cave sediments, as remains on the wall show, the cave was actually never before excavated. The cave sediment was removed naturally by a cave river. It seems the cave was visited, but only sporadic.