|Location:||Near the village Goesdorf.|
Simon Philippo, Yves Krippel (ny):
Op der Spur vum Antimon,
Goesdorf und seine Antimongrube, Geologischer Entdeckungs- und Orientierungspfad,
Goesdorf et sa mine d'antimoine, Sentier géologique, de découverte et d'orientation.
|Address:||Mine d'antimoine à Goesdorf, Tel: +352-, Fax: +352-,|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1354||oldest written mention: Graf Wenzel gives permission for antimony mining.|
|1847-1855||time of intensive minig.|
|1855||Société des mines d'antimoine de Goesdorf participates on the Exposition internationale de Paris (World Exhibition Paris).|
|1935||discovery of a high grade antimony ore block of 52kg.|
|2005||mine adit restored.|
The Mine d'antimoine à Goesdorf was mined intermittently for almost 600 years. During the early 1850s the mine produced some 100,000 tons of ore, 70% of high quality, 30% of so-called second grade. However, it seems the mine was closed various times for longer periods. The mining remains include some buildings and mine trains. The mine was closed for decades until around 2004 a former adit of the mine was cleaned and reconstructed. It may now be visited, the mine entrance is part of a mine trail named Sentier géologique, de découverte et d'orientation, Geologischer Entdeckungs- und Orientierungspfad (geologic discovery and orientation trail).
After the mine was closed it became a sort of mineral collecting site. The place is famous for some 38 minerals found here. However, since the mine was renovated it is considered an archaeological site any further collecting is prohibited.