|Location:||North of Refrontolo. (45° 56′ 16.52″ N, 12° 11′ 30.19″ E)|
Summer Mon-Sat 15-18, Sun, Hol 10-12, 14:3018:30.
Winter Wed-Sat 14-17, Sun, Hol 10-12, 14-18.
Adults EUR 3, Children (0-14) free.
Reservation by phone or email required.
Groups: Adults EUR 3, School Pupils EUR 1.50.
|Classification:||Tufa Deposits Rimstone Pool|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Guided tours:||D=60 min.|
|Address:||Associazione Molinetto Della Croda, Via Molinetto 40, 31020 Refrontolo TV, Tel: +39-438-978199, Tel: +39-438-894142, Tel: +39-347-3440070. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1953||mill closed after flood.|
|1977||location for the film Mogliamante, with Marcello Mastroianni and Laura Antonelli.|
|1991||purchased by the Council of Refrontolo and renovated.|
|2009||retrospective of the painter Angelo Lorenzon.|
|02-AUG-2014||flood caused the death of four people.|
The Molinetto della Croda is an ancient mill in the Lierza Valley, north of Refrontolo. It used the special geologic situation for powering the waterwheel. The mill was built in the 17th century and is a typical example of rural architecture. The original foundations was laid on the bare bedrock, the “croda”, hence the name. Later additions were the living space for the family of the miller, a barn and a stable. The mill was grinding wheat and corn.
The location is quite exceptional, and one reason is the impressive white limestone dam. The water of the Lierza torrent is very limestone rich and deposits the limestone forming typical rimstone dams with waterfalls. There is a series of such dames, the mill was erected at the highest dam. As a result it was not necessary to build an artificial dam or channel. The 8 m high waterfall offers enough power for the mill. But the dams are still growing, and while the name emphasizes the fact that the mill was built in front of the dam on the croda, the bedrock, the dam has reached the wall of the buikding partly enclosing it.
But the growing roch was not the dangerous part. The daily life was a fight against poverty, and the frequent floods could dmagae and destroy the mill and with it the income. Industrialization caused a decline in small mills and when another flood hit in 1953 the mill was finally abandoned. The infrastructure slowly decayed until it was finally purchased by the municipality of Refrontolo and carefully restorated. It became a milling museum with a working mill, an exhibition center and was used for various functions. The last flood in 2014 caused the death of four people and injured nine. A private party was held on the open square in front of the mill. The flood was a wave of water and mud of 1.5 m height that swept away the party.