Follow Via Vicinale dei Monaco to the Convento San Pasquale, 800 m to the east follow road north up the valley 500 m. From the end of the road 500 m walk.
|Classification:||Karst cave. Cave Church St. Michael Caves|
|Dimension:||A=500 m asl|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|700||church founded by the Langobards.|
|1446||united with Santa Maria Assunata at Faicchio.|
|1596||church not in use any more.|
The cave church Grotta di San Michele was founded by the Langobards inside a natural cave on the slopes of the mountain Monaco di Gioia in a height of 500 m asl. The church was officially baptized in 1172 and in the same century it was decorated with frescoes. In 1446 it was united with Santa Maria Assunata at Faicchio. When it was closed is unknown, but in 1596 Monsignore Savino noted that the church was not in use any more.
The entrance to the cave is a 6 m high semicircular portal. It is followed by two small chambers and then a bigger chamber, 10 m long and up to 6 m wide, which is the location of the church. Here starts a tunnel which leads to a chapel. The natural cave walls were almost completely plastered and decorated with frescoes during the 12th century. They depict Christian Saints, the Archangel St. Michael, and Mary. The frescoes must have been created by a single artist, who was influenced by the art of the Byzantine Empire.