APR to 12-NOV daily 10-19, last tour 18.
13-NOV to MAR Mon-Fri 10-12, 14-17.
Groups after appointment.
|Classification:||Cellar Room and Pillar Mining|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Dimension:||L=15,000 m, T=12 °C.|
|Guided tours:||L=800 m.|
|Address:||Les Caves Monmousseau, 71 route de Vierzon, 41400 Montrichard, Tel: +33-254-323515, Fax: +33-254-325609. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1886||founded by Alcide Monmousseau.|
Les Caves Monmousseau are the cellars of the Monmousseau vinery, a 15km long labyrinth of passages hewn out of the soft chalk of the Loire hills. An 800 m loop is prepared for visitors, who will be introduced to the so-called Méthode Traditionnelle. This is the way how Champagne is made, invented by Dom Perignon and Madame Clicquot in the Champagne. The same method is used here, as all over the world.
The vinery was founded by Alcide Monmousseau in 1886, who opened his wine business in a rock quarry, where chalk had been mined before. The quarry was started for the Loire Chateaux and provided the necessary stones, but when the chateaux was completed there was no need for it any more. There were 15 km of abandoned passages created in room and pillar technique. The next owner was Justin Marcel Monmousseau, who introduced the production of sparkling wine after the Méthode Traditionnelle in 1930.