|Location:||Plaza Ernest Lluch, Riotinto, Andalucia.|
JAN to 15-JUL daily 10:30-15, 16-19.
16-JUL to SEP daily 10:30-15, 16-20.
OCT to DEC daily 10:30-15, 16-19.
Adults EUR 4, Children (4-12) EUR 3, Children (0-3) free, Seniors (65+) EUR 3.
Groups (30+): Adults EUR 3.
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Address:||Museo Minero de Riotinto "Ernest Lluch", Plaza Ernest Lluch s/n, CP 21660, Minas de Riotinto, Tel: +34-959590025, Fax: +34-959591074. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|1925||built by the British architect R. H. Morgan.|
|1927||inaugurated as a hospital.|
|1873||mine operated by the British Riotinto Company Limited.|
|1992||museum opened to the public.|
The Museo Minero de Riotinto "Ernest Lluch" (Ernest Lluch Mining Museum Riotinto) is named after Ernest Lluch, who was the first president of the Rio Tinto Foundation. He was president between 1988 and 1991, then he joined the board of the foundation. He was killed by the terrorist group ETA on 21-NOV-2000 and so the museum and the aquare in front were named after him on 03-MAY-2001.
The exhibition explains the history of the villages and towns in the area which long ago started to exploit the ores of the pyrite belt. One impressive feature is the reproduction of a Roman mine. There are numerous remains of mining and smelting from the different ages. The environmental and geological characteristics of the area and its influence on the history and economy of the area are explained. One of the most fascinating exhibits is probably the Maharajah's coach, the most luxurious narrow-gauge railway coach in the world. It was built for Queen Victoria and brought to the Rio Tinto mining area when she once visited King Alphonse XIII of Spain.
The Mining Museum is also the location of the interpretation centre of the Riotinto Mining Park. It is a good starting point for a trip to the various mining sites of the area. The Rio Tinto Foundation for the Study of Mining and Metallurgy is a private nonprofit institution for the conservation and restoration of the historical mining in the Rio Tinto Mining District, to offer alternative employment for former miners in the tourist sector.
The mining museum of Minas de Riotinto is located in the former hospital of the Rio Tinto Limited, the British company which operated the mine from 1873 until 1954. The building was erected by the British architect R. H. Morgan on the hill south of El Valle. Inaugurated in 1927 it offered health care for the employees of the company, but also so-called grace beds for people of the area which were no able to afford health care. After the end of the mining the hospital was operated by the Rio Tinto Foundation. Numerous renovations changed the architecture of the building, but in the 1980s an effort was made to restore it. The best preserved wing of the building was separated from the rest and became the seat of the Mining Museum. The museum was opened to the public in 1992 and has 1,800m² of exhibition space.