Festungsmuseum Magletsch


Useful Information

Location: Magletsch, 9479 Oberschan.
13 (E45+3) exit Trübbach, at Trübbach turn right on 13 to Weite, turn left to Oberschan, turn right to Magletsch.
(47.104012, 9.484540)
Open: JUN to AUG on certain Sat, Sun.
See online booking for dates, reservation necessary. ExplainPost-pandemic Aftermath
[2022]
Fee: Adults SFR 18, Children (-16) SFR 12, Military SFR 12.
[2022]
Classification: SubterraneaWorld War II Bunker SubterraneaSecret Bunker
Light: LightIncandescent Electric Light System
Dimension:
Guided tours: D=2.5 h. Deutsch - German
Photography: allowed
Accessibility: no
Bibliography:
Address: Artillerie-Fort-Verein-Magletsch (AFOM), Postfach 31, 9479 Oberschan, Tel: +41-81-783-26-11. E-mail:
As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.

History

1225 Höhenburg Wartau (Castle Wartau) built.
1939 begin of construction of Turmwerk Wartau.
SEP-1940 Turmwerk completed.
FEB-1941 Battery east completed.
JUL-1941 Battery west completed.
1995 abandoned by the army due to the reform.
01-JUL-2000 opened to the public.

Description

The Festungsmuseum Magletsch (Fortress Museum Magletsch) is located inside a World War II fortress in the Upper Rhine Valley. It is also named A 6020 «Der Hammer» (the hammer) by the army. It was the biggest artillery fort in Switzerland and was the northern tip of the Sargans Fortress. Overlooking the Rhine valle its location of great strategic importance. This prominent location was first used by the Höhenburg Wartau (Castle Wartau) in 1225.

The fortification with its canons was constructed to defend the Rhine valley against invasion during World War II. It was started after the outbreak of the war and was completed in less than a year. Close to the castle the Turmwerk Wartau was first erected, then battery east and battery west, Since then it was in use by the army. An underground tunnel system and barracks was used by a company which manned the battery. In 1995 the strategy of the army was adapted to the new situation after the end of the Cold War and the frtress was abandoned. It was leased by the non-profit Artillerie-Fort-Verein-Magletsch (AFOM) which created a museum inside and offers guided tours of the fortress.

The tour starts at the parking lot in front of the mountain. The underground structure is entered through the main tunnel, which is big enough for trucks. The Drehscheibe (rotary hub) is the start of the 150 m long inclined gallery to the upper level 30 m higher. The former ammunition storage room contains an exhibition to the situation during Wolrd War II. Then the infrastructure of the fortress is visited, the filters, workshop, fuel tanks, the engine room with the three Sulzer marine diesels, and the telephone exchange. Then the actual fortress is visited, with the firing office for the three 10.5 cm tank turrets, an observer's and a machine gun emplacement, the armoury, as well as two 7.5 cm rearmed bunker gun emplacements. An elevator and a staircase with 111 steps go up the gun emplacement with the 7.5 cm calibre gun.

This is the regular tour of the fortress, but the association offers numerous other tours, for example an extended tour, an outside tour, or a tour to the nearby Schollberg bunker. Tours are offered during the summer months on certain Saturdays or Sundays. There are no regular open hours, so you have to check online for dates and make a reservation. Magletsch is the parking lot, there is no village of that name, and it is signposted with yellow signs from the motorway..