|Location:||At S-charl, 13 km from Scuol.|
|Open:||mid-JUN to mid-OCT Tue-Fri 14-17, Sun 14-17. |
|Classification:||Lead Mine Silver Mine|
|Light:||Incandescent Electric Light System|
|Address:||Blei- und Silberbergwerk Val S-charl, Pro Engadina Bassa, 7550 Scuol, Tel: +41-81-861-2222, Fax: +41-81-861-2223. E-mail:|
|As far as we know this information was accurate when it was published (see years in brackets), but may have changed since then.
Please check rates and details directly with the companies in question if you need more recent info.
|12th cty||mining started.|
|1189||the bishops of Trient were the lords of the are and thus ownte the mining rights.|
|1208||the mining laws were written and stayed valid for centuries..|
|1317||Herzog Heinrich von Kärnten gave the mine to Knight Gebhard von Guarda, Albert à Porta, Konrad, and Friedrich von Planta.|
|1499||men from Scuol killed 200 Austrian miners.|
|16th cty||main mining period.|
|1658||mining rights transferred to the village of Scuol.|
|1811||mining revived by Johannes Hitz from Klosters.|
|1829||mining finally ended.|
|1987||foundation "Fundaziun Schmelzra S-charl" established.|
The main ore of the S-charl mine is galena, a silver and lead ore, and spalerite (locally called Zinkblende), a zinc sulfate. The mine was operative for centuries with its peak during the 16th century. But finally the mining was not profitable enough and ended. It was revivied by Johannes Hitz from Klosters in 1811 and operated for almost two decades. The mining was not profitable, but many people from the valley were able to earn some money, which helped them to survive. About 50 kg of silver were produced every year during the early 1920s.